40

Chapter 40.

"What are you doing here?" He did not answer her question but instead replied with another question and I felt quite a relief when he didn't actually invite her here when we're supposed to be talking to sort out our stuffs, however , it does not relieve the fact, that this girl right here was his supposed-to-be girlfriend and I, once again, was just another girl in the picture, just like what I really was from the start.

"You're supposed to be dating me and not meet up with poor little girls from America. It's not good for our image!" She whispered through gritted teeth, she look at me in disgust that could probably kill me if only looks are weapons. Her fists are clenched as I receive dirty looks from her. "Let's go now."

"Can you please just. . . leave? I'm tired and if you're scared that this'll ruin your image, then. . ." He paused right there, knowing she wouldn't understand even if he spent hours trying to explain it to her. The sadness and exhaustiveness was evident on his voice now. Why can't everything just be right for once?

"I- I'll just leave. Good bye Luke." I stood up, my legs felt wobbly and it feels like the floor's going to swallow me right at that moment. It was like a flight of stairs, thinking there would be another step but the truth is there wasn't and now I was falling into a great abyss of nothing.

False hope. Guess that's better than none at all.

It was a quote from one of my favorite books, The Scorch Trials. I don't agree though, I would rather have no hope at all than lead someone on with false beliefs and make them happy for something that isn't actually there. To think that there was actually a chance that everything would return to normal was stupid because the thing is, my life had been far from normal ever since Luke entered it.

"Elha," He did not grab my wrist like all the romantic novels or chick flicks. He just stood there, right behind me in hopes of listening to whatever he has in store for me.

"What?!" I didn't mean to snap at him because if I had to evaluate my feelings at this moment, I was more of sad than angry. Sad for the false hope I've lead myself on, sad for thinking there was a chance at all. It was like falling in a bottomless pit and trying so hard to reach for something, to hold on to something to stop the fall but the thing is, there isn't actually something to hold on.

It's just me, in a seemingly bottomless chasm.

"Listen to me, Elha." He was breathing so fast that his chest rises up and down each second.

"We don't want to make scene here, do we? That would ruin you and your girlfriend's image." I manage to fake a smile before turning around again. Maybe, this is the last time I would ever walk away from Luke. Hopefully, this is the last time because I'm so tired of walking away. I'm so, so, so, so tired.

Hopefully, this is the last time I'd turn around and walk away, back to the life I used to have, before I met Luke, before everything went downhill from there, when everything is happy and relaxed and I have goals set for the future. Way, way back from here.

"I'm willing to give this up for you." He says, so soft and quiet that if it was any lower than that, I probably would not have heard it. "I'd give this up for you, Elha. Please."

My heart skipped a beat for what he said and I don't know if it was a good or a bad one. Maybe it was neither. I looked at him, fighting back the tears threatening to fall from my eyes, and shook my head, "You don't have to, Luke. It's not worth it."

I hate the power that you give every time you love someone, the power to give you the extreme happiness, bliss and euphoria. On the other hand though, you also give them the power to destroy you and let them step on your heart only to leave you in misery and complete desolation.

Whether I admit it o not, I've given that power to Luke a long time ago, ever since I walked towards him, in that bench, once upon a time in a summer afternoon. Ever since I decided to walk inside his life.

"But with you everything's worth it."

"That's where you're wrong, Hemmings." I sighed, shaking my head once again. "I'm never worth it."

--------------------------------------------------------------

I HAD TO POST THIS OKAY. I MISS WRITING THIS SO MUCH I JUST HAD TO. I D K, THERE'S ONLY A FEW CHAPTERS LEFT AND EVERYTHING'S FAR FROM OKAYYYY. LOL I HAD IT ALL PLAN THOUGH SO MAYBE IM UPDATING AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK FROM NOW ON ESPECIALLY IT'S ONLY ONE WEEK TILL CHRISTMAS VAY-CAY

THANK YOU FOR 854K READ BTW. IM LIKE 146K AWAY FROM 1M AND THAT'S WOW. :--------)

Please do leave comments though, I love to hear our thoughts and theories for what might happen. Yay! :) - nikki ♥