The End

Mel

I felt Tom tense up in the chair next to me. “Was I asleep?” he asked with a nervous look about him.

I nodded without even looking at him. “You fell asleep as soon as the jury went off.”

“So they didn’t read their statement.”

“No Tom they didn’t,” I said biting my nails.

Tom leaned into me and kissed me. I reacted with a very confused face.

“Don’t even worry about it okay,” he said while I still thought about the kiss. It was probably something to distract me.

I then saw the jury came out. They talked to the judge and some guy walked up to the podium. Now was a good time for my deodorant to start working. The representative cleared his throat.

It was dead silent.

“We the members of the jury find the defendant Michael Satterfield guilty of the charges.”

I sat there in shock and tried to hold on to this moment.

You know when in the movies they have a scene move really slowly to show the dramatic effect, yeah I was having one now. I look around to see Michael in handcuffs probably going to go serve out his sentence in jail. In that moment I could look at him and I felt no fear. He looked right back at me and nothing happened. I finally had no fear of the person I was fearing. A feeling that I have not experienced in many years.

Tom shook me and it knocked me out of my moment.

“We fucking won. We fucking won,” he said running up and down the court room and laughing psychotically.

I turned around to see Annie giving me a big thumbs up. I smiled right back at her.

As soon as we walked in the house (and when I say as soon as we I literally mean like two seconds) Annie so smartly suggested, “We should have a party or something to celebrate.”

I gave her a ‘you cannot be serious look.’

“Stop being a party pooper,” she said and came over to sit on my lap. “You all agree with me right?”

Everyone nodded their heads.

“Okay fine,” I said. “Lets have a party. Woo-hoo.” I had to admit I actually felt like partying.

Then everyone deiced to go to a party store and pick out decorations. I chose obviously not to get involved.

As I was standing looking at the balloons I felt a pair of arms around me.

“Come on Mel. Have some fun for once in your life,” Tom said burying his face in my hair.

“There’s actually a problem with that,” Annie yelled from somewhere.

“Oh yeah what’s that?” I responded.

“You don’t know what fun actually is.”

“Oh really?”

“YEAH,” she said jumping out of the aisle behind me in a ridiculous costume.

I screamed.

“Now that is what you call fun,” she said with a stupid look on her face. “Oooo I’m the ghost of the Norwalk High Auditorium Balcony.”

I just stood in the store with an emotionless face. Oh yes how could I not forget the day where everyone deiced to play a joke on me that our school’s auditorium was haunted and I believed them.

“You never quit do you?” I said with my arms folded across my chest.

“Come on you party pooper,” she said grabbing me and pulling me into an aisle with her.