That Ghastly Word

Mel

I woke up to the sound of a tea kettle sounding. The noise sounded like a thousand trumpets blasting in my ear. I slowly opened my eyes to see Tom standing in front of the kettle with two mugs. He looked over at me and smiled.

“Did you have a good sleep,” he said pouring the tea into the cups.

“Oh god Tom shut up. I have a wicked headache.”

“Do you know why you have one?”

“No.” My mind started to think back to last night. The bar. The fight beforehand. All of those guys buying me drinks. “I was drunk last night wasn’t I?”

Tom nodded his head. “I’m very disappointed at you for doing that Mel.”

“Why you aren’t my mother,” I said in a sassy tone and crossed my hands over my stomach.

“You seriously could have gotten hurt.”

I looked at the wall and sighed. Recalling the fight that happened before I went out and decided to get wasted.

“You had me worried to death,” Tom said handing me the tea.

“Tom. You should know by now that I don’t drink this stuff. It makes your teeth yellow.”

Tom smiled. “There she is. My old friend Mel.” He kissed me on the forehead.

“Ow. Headache still.”

“Now you know what a real hangover feels like. Pain meds?”

I nodded. “I do now. Man how can Jay do this all the time?”

Tom laughed. “I can’t quite figure it out myself.”

Tom and I decided to watch some TV until my headache clamed down. It was about early afternoon when it did.

“Are you completely with us Mel? Headache gone and everything.”

“Yeah at least I think.”

“I want to apologize for what happened last night. I should have told you about the dream. I was being a fucktard as usual.”

That sentence was probably the most sincere and honest thing I have ever heard Tom say in my life. I knew at that moment that he was actually being serious. “Yeah I guess I shouldn’t have taken it as far as I did. You were right in the fact that something could have happened.”

“I think it’s an appropriate time that I told you about the dream.”

“Tom truthfully I don’t-”

“Shhh. It’s my choice I want to do this. Where do I start? I have had this recurring dream ever since we’ve got here and maybe even before here a little.  So we were back at the house minutes before the accident and you apologized for not wanting to start anything with me. Then you disappeared and I started looking for you. The next thing I knew I was looking in at your funeral and Annie saying how it was my entire fault that you where dead. And now I can’t stop thinking that all I do is cause you pain. You where in two car accidents because of me and then last night… I just don’t want to lose you like I almost did three times before. Maybe I should just fuck off and leave you alone or something. ”

I looked at Tom shocked that he didn’t want to tell me he thought this way. “Why didn’t you want to tell me this?”

“I was embarrassed that you would think that I was a softie.”

“And for Christ sake why would I?”

“I don’t know.”

I sighed and grabbed Tom’s face with both hands and kissed his forehead. “Men who share their feelings aren’t softies you know. And don’t you dare say that I would be better off without you. If it wasn’t for you I would still be with Michael and probably dead at that.” 

“Annie said that same thing earlier when I called her for ad-” Tom suddenly turned red.

“You called my best friend for advice? I thought phones were off limits too. Where did you hide them? Annie probably has been texting me non stop. I need my phone.”

“No. I erm-”

“You really are a softie aren’t you?” I laughed.

Tom gave me an awkward smile.

“And I would want to have it any other way.”

Tom then rolled on top of me and crashed his lips into mine.

”Tom,” I pulled away. “We just can’t sleep together after we made up you know.”

Tom started smirking. “It’s called make-up-sex for a reason Mel and can you also stop saying sleep together its way to adorable it makes you sound so innocent.  You need to be a big girl and start calling it sex.”

“But it sounds like such a ghastly word though.”

“See I can never understand you. One minute you’re speaking like a five year old then the next you’re using big complicated words talking like a teacher or something.”

Tom’s lips again crashed into mine and the kisses got longer and longer. As soon as I was going to pull of Tom’s shorts they started vibrating.

“Tom?”

“What,” he said kissing my collar bone.

“Either I turn you on that badly that your penis is vibrating or that’s your hiding place for your cell phone.”

“Just ignore it and it will go away,” Tom said sucking on my neck.

However much to Tom’s dismay the phone kept vibrating for about five minutes.

“You better answer that.”

Tom got off of me and looked at his phone. “For fucks sake it’s Max.”

Max always seemed to have impeccable timing.

“What the fuck do you want,” Tom screamed in his Bolton accent. “I was in the middle of something.”

Tom’s facial expression changed as he listened to Max on the other line. I could hear a bunch of Ok’s coming from Tom’s mouth.

“Thanks we’ll be there as soon as possible.”

I looked over at Tom skeptically.

“What did Max want?” I asked.

Cliff hanger. Da- da-duh-.

OMG 1200 reads. I thought I was only going to have like 5 or 6 people reading this.  I forgot to mention in the last chapter that I when I found out I got over 1,000 reads I was in my free period class in one of my teacher’s room and I screamed in front of a bunch of underclassman. No joke. I know this sounds really repetitive but I really do thank those people who read my story. Now if only I can convince myself that I’m a good writer now.

But on a serious note I do have the next couple of chapters laid out but if you guys want to see anything developed into the story please write something in the feedback section. I really want to know your opinion on the whole thing.