The Trial

Tom

Today was the day that justice would finally be served. The moment when everything is hopefully lifted off your shoulders. Our problems would be handled by the court system and it would be up to our peers to decide if the prick is guilty. We had a wonderful lawyer who came highly recommended. Mel used a whole tube of deodorant because she was so nervous. I had to admit I never had seen Mel so nervous in my life. However, her excuse as to why she used the whole tube of deodorant was the fact that she wanted to make sure that she didn’t sweat. I was going to sit as a witness because I was so involved in the case.

“Judge Scott Prescott resigning all stand,” the bailiff said with a commanding voice. “All parties have been sworn in. You all can sit down.”

“So Mr. Myer what brings you and your client to my court room?” the judge asked while reading the papers.

“My client Melanie Smith would like to press charges against the defendant Michael Satterfield,” said Myer in a very confident way.

“And what charges are these such as you mentioned?” the judge eyed at Myer.

“Attempted murder.”

“Are you prepared to defend these accusations,” the judge asked Michael’s court appointed lawyer. Did I mention he was court appointed?

The lawyer just nodded in response.

“Mr. Myer,” the judge turned to him. “Why do you think these accusations are justified?”

“The defendant and my client where in a relationship. The defendant got mad when my client’s new boyfriend broke them up. The boyfriend Mr. Parker was afraid that the defendant would do something bad to my client. Such as beat her into comma. Then once the relationship was broken off the defendant went into a range and tried to kill my client with a stolen car.”

“Understood Mr. Myer you can precede.”

“For my first witness I would like to call Melanie Smith up to the witness stand.”

Mel said nothing as she went up to the chair and was sworn in.

I paid more attention to Mel’s facial reactions (which where none and void) than the questions. I was knocked out of that trance when I heard someone call my name.

“Isn’t that right Mr. Parker?” Myer asked me.

“I’m sorry?” I said as I felt my felt my face turn bright red. “Can you repeat the question?”

Myer sighed and spoke, “You and Ms. Smith are now in a relationship.”

“Sure?” I said. Not exactly knowing what he was trying to get at.

“Did you punch the defendant in the face?”

“Of course I did I was only trying to-”

“Your honor,” Michael’s lawyer jumped up. “This is hearsay. Mr. Myer is out of order. He is asking a witness who isn’t in the box.”

“Myer he does have a point.”

Great. I groaned to myself. What a lawyer.

“Very well Ms. Smith you are free to go,” the judge said.

“Your honor can I call a witness to the stand,” Michael’s lawyer asked.

The judge nodded his head.

“Defense calls Tomas Parker to the stand.”

“Who me?” I said pointing at myself.

“Is there another. Tomas Parker in this room,” Michael’s lawyer said in a mocking tone.

I shrugged my shoulders.

“There you go. It is you.”

I looked over at Mel who was trying not to laugh.

“You fucking idiot,” she mouthed over to me and laughed.

After I was sworn in Michael’s lawyer came over to me and looked at me for a while. Probably trying to intimate me.

“Did you see my client actually hit Ms. Smith?”

“No.”

“Where were you at the time?”

“Inside.”

“Doing what?”

“I don’t remember.”

“There you go ladies and gentlemen my client is being accused of something that he didn’t do,” Michael’s lawyer said turning to the jury.

“But Mel saw...”

I was cut of by the lawyer “anyone could have been in that car. It could have been George Clooney for all we know.”

I rolled my eyes and mumbled. “Why don’t you actually call the witness who saw Michael hit her with the stolen car to the stand?”

The judge hit his gavel on the bench. “Mr. Parker you’re out of order.”

“What did I do?”

“Just go sit down Mr. Parker,” the judge said and pointed at my seat.

Now it was time for the fun part.

We then heard numerous accounts from all sorts of people. Mostly Becky and Bill’s investigation as to how they found out that it was Michael who was driving the car. They also told the jury about how Michael managed to steal the car and how there was overly incriminating evidence that it was him. Another testimony was from a psychologist who hopefully convinced the jury that Michael was so overwhelmed with anger that he indeed wanted to kill Mel. The whole time Mel was nervously scratching her arm with wide eyes looking at whoever was testifying in her behalf.

The worst however was when Michael’s lawyer counter examined Mel. She really looked like she was about to cry. All of this lasted long into the night.

The judge dismissed it until the next morning. Until that time Mel slept and slept.

The next morning the judge reread the points of the investigation then the jury went into a room to deice Michael’s fate. I walked over to Mel.

“Hey,” I said and sat next to her, “Whatever happens I’ll protect you ok?”

She nodded and went back to violently scratching her arm.

I took her head and put in the crook of my neck and told her to relax. It was really quite a long time until the jury came back out. It sounds really cliché but it really seemed like an eternity.

The jury chose who was going to read the statement and the person proceed up to the podium. It was dead quiet as he got ready to read the statement.

“We members of the jury find the defendant Michael Satterfield not guilty.”

There where only cheers from the defense.

 Y'all can say whatever you like about this chapter...just remember it ain't over yet

B

tw it was really hard to write a court thing.