The Jog

Mel

I was in a dark room. I couldn’t even see the outline of my hand when I put it closer to my face. The lights then flicked on. A bright white light blinded me. As soon as I could take the light I looked straight ahead of me to see bars. White bars. I tried to pull them off but I couldn’t. I looked all around me to see that I was in some kind of cage. I heard somebody laughing. Michael. “Let me out,” I said to him. “No,” he said laughing. Then Tom appeared with the key. “Oh Tom. You’ve got the key let me out of here.”  Then Tom morphed into a monkey. I started screaming. “You’ll never get out of his alive,” Michael’s voice yelled. “Mel, wake up.”… “Mel common is only a dream.”

Then I woke up covered in sweat and to see Tom and Max staring at me.

“Guys it’s just a bad dream. I’m fine really,” I said wiping off some sweat and making light of the subject.

“You sure dollface?” Max asked me.

“Yes.” I replied. “Hey Tom,” I said smirking. “Max got me into his bed before you got me into yours this time around,” I said laughing.

Max and Tom both looked very uncomfortable. I stopped laughing.

“It’s a joke. Laugh you weirdoes.”

Still nothing.

Later

I had decided that I was going to go to go somewhere. Somewhere where I could be alone. I went into Tom’s room pulled on a hooded sweatshirt, some jeans and a pair of trainers.

“And where do you think you are you going?” Tom asked.

“Out for a run.” I answered.

“No she isn’t,” Jay yelled. “She is going out on a date with me.”

“NO SHES GOING ON A DATE WITH ME,” Nathan augured.

“Unless your ideal date is a run I suggest you boys say here,” I yelled back to them. Something still was up with Tom. I leaned over to kiss him on the check and he backed up. I gave him a really weird look.

“I’m sick that’s all.” He said.

I ignored it and went on my merry way.

X

I managed to get to the cemetery in half an hour. A new record for me. I came up to the grave stones.

“Hey guys,” I said to the headstones of my brother, mother, and father.

I always came here when I needed to talk to someone other than Tom, the boys, or Annie.

“Well,” I said. “Michael hit me again I guess he had another bad night. He hasn’t called yet which as you know is very unusual for him. I am going to wait until he calls and go back go his flat.”

I sat there for an hour in silence pulling the grass blades up I would be lying if I told myself I didn’t cry. I’ve been coming here a lot more often now.  This helps me somewhat just enough to get me through the day. I got up after a while wiped all the dirt off and headed home.

Tom

“Of course I followed her,” I yelled into my cell phone to Max. “I don’t know what I’m going to about this whole admitting my feelings. Hiding them has worked for so many years and can still work,” I told Max.

There was no answer on the other line.

“Shitty phone,” I said. “Dropping calls so much.”

I walked over to the spot where Mel was sitting.

I yelled up to the sky as if someone could hear me, “Are you happy now. See what this has caused. I’m in love with her. Love and Melanie should not be in the same sentence.” I don’t think you realize how much she misses you,” I then said to the gravestones and walked away.

When should I tell her I like her? Should I even? So many questions in my mind so many that I did not have the answers to.

I got home before Mel.

“If she asks for me,” I told the guys. “Make up some lie. I need to be alone.”

Later

It must have been 1 or 2 in the morning I was still awake. Thinking. I crept down the stairs to check on Mel. She’s so pretty when she sleeps. When she has a cold and is in a deep sleep she snores and it’s so endearing. The one and only time she is truly at peace. The one thing that Michael did not penetrate yet until today. I pulled the rest of her blankets up to her shoulders.

“What are you doing Tom?’ she asked.

“Nothing,” I reply.

“I’m sure your showing some one-night-stand out the door. Good boy Parker always gets his way,” she said and fell back to sleep.

“I love you Melanie,” I whispered. “And I will find a way to tell you.”