The Headline

Mel

I looked down at what Annie had pulled up on her phone. I couldn't believe it. But there it was. Staring right back at me was a picture of my drunken face with Tom's arm wrapped around my waist. Under the picture was the caption,

"TOM PARKER LEAVES LA CLUB DE LA ROUGE WITH A MYSTERY GIRL."

"I can't believe this. Who the hell told," I asked Annie as I was skimming the article. Thank god that my name was not mentioned nor did it say I was under the influence. But I think my glazed over eyes did the talking for me on that part.

"Come here," she said dragging my wrist. She led me up to Nathan's room. He was still sleeping. “I’ve got the best idea,” she said smiling. “Nathan. You’re going to be late. Get up the car is coming in five minutes,” she screamed. Nathan literally jumped about five feet in the air. I looked over at Annie who was hunched over laughing.

“That’s not funny,” he said.

“Well get out of here anyway I have to talk to this person over here,” she said pointing her finger at me.

“Nathan, Get down here right now!” I heard Max scream.

“You two are going to get it later,” he said walking out of the room.

“What the hell Annie. He’s going to kill us for doing that to him,” I told her.

“Nah, he’s just going to kill you. Now about Tom-” she started to say.

“I don’t know Annie,” I interrupted her.

“About what? You didn’t even let me finish.”

“Tom and my feelings towards him. I just don’t know. I was drunk and you know how drunken people act,” I said and sat on the bed.

“I know you like him.”

“And how do you know I like him.”

“When I first started hanging out with you and the boys you and Tom where both off in your little worlds doing Tom and Mel stuff.”

I shifted on the bed. “So?”

“You two where always together. I had to pry you off of Tom so we could do things together. You both have so much in common. You always hit Tom and he chased you around the yard. A bunch of times I may add.”

“It’s called being friends.”

“No, it’s called flirting.”

I looked at the floor.

“Come to think of it. My earliest memories of you and Tom involved ‘being friends.’ Face it Mel you like him.”

“Fine,” I said angrily and got up. “I do like Tom. I’ve liked him since before I can remember,” I put my arms on the wall and rested my head on top of them.

“Then why don’t you go for it.”

“I can’t,” I started to tear up.

“Why in heavens name can’t you?” Annie said surprised.

“I’ve never told anyone this. Not even Tom but Chase’s last words before he died were to ‘stay away from Tom because he could do damage. He’s a no good womanizer.’ I promised him. I just couldn’t break my brother’s wish.”

“Hun you know that’s not true. You said it yourself Tom has changed over the years,” Annie said trying to cheer me up.

“I guess so,” I mumbled.

“Besides, did you ever listen to your brother in the first place?”

“Fine. I do like Tom and I want to start a relationship with him.”

“Good girl,” Anne said.

At that moment I heard commotion from the other room. Tom and Max were into a huge fight. I pressed my ear to the wall.

“Max its no bloody big deal.” Tom said. “It was one night. A mistake.  Just because I fucked her once doesn’t mean we are dating or anything. And maybe some people just need to keep secrets better.”

I stood there in the room. Shaking. I had to go somewhere, somewhere where nobody would find me. That’s when I ran up to the attic.

(I don’t really know how to explain that the conversation the boys are having is going on at the same time Mel and Annie are talking. I thought this little note would be the easiest way.)

Tom

“What the bloody hell is this,” Max said as he showed me what was sent to his phone.

“Well I don’t know your shaking it so much.” I grabbed the phone out of his hand.

“Wow. Tom Parker leaves La Club de La Rouge with a mystery girl.” I said reading the text.

“Tom. Do you know how much trouble this is going to cause?”

“Why are you blaming me for all of this? Do you even realize that Nathan and Annie left together last night?”

“Nathan, get down here right now!” Max yelled.

Nathan came running in. “What’s the matter?” he asked in a panicky way.

“Did you and Annie leave the club last night together?”

“Yeah.”

“Where you followed?”

“No I don’t think so.”

“There you go,” Max said. “Nathan and Annie left unseen.”

I scowled at him.

“What’s this even about?” Nathan asked sensing the tension.

“See for yourself,” Max said and handed him the phone.

Nathan whistled. “I’ll try to be more careful then. Bye.”

“Not so fast,” Max said pulling on his shirt collar as he walked past him. “You need seriously to be careful we need to have a good PR for the next couple of weeks. Then you can do something stupid.” He let go of Nathan.

“Well if that’s it then I’m going to be going now,” Nathan said as he ran out of the room nervously laughing.

“That’s not fair. He just got a warning and I’m being reprimanded,” I said raising my voice.

“He wasn’t caught. Look you need to clear this up Tom.”

“It’s fine.”

“Tom.”

“Look everyone will have forgotten about it by tomorrow morning.”

“People are going to start talking.”

“Then let them talk.”

“Something needs to be done.”

“Max its no bloody big deal. It was one night. A mistake. Just because I fucked her once doesn’t mean we are dating or anything. And maybe some people just need to keep secrets better.” That’s when I heard footsteps run to the attic and slam the door closed.

I heard Annie screaming, “Mel what happened. Come back.”

She walked past my room and saw Max and I.

“You,” she said pointing at me. “You caused all of this. Well if you wanted to sleep with her sober you just screwed your chances up.”