The Crash

Mel

There I was sitting in the attic facing the wall in the fettle position. I came here to be alone, stare at the walls and think about nothing. However, I was thinking about something. The crash that altered my life forever.

It was a morning like any other. My parents took the day off to look at houses because they wanted to get away from our neighborhood and were going to drop me and my brother off only we never made it.

“Come on,” My mom told my brother. “We are going to be late as usual.”

‘Chase stop being a lazy ass and down here,” I said. My mother turned to look at me.

“Melanie Ann Smith were on earth did you learn such language?” My mother asked.

“Chase and Tom taught it to me,” I giggled. “They told me it was what the all the kids were saying,”

“Well a nice young lady shouldn’t be talking like that. Remind me to have a word with those boys.”

My father came in and said, “I’m waiting out in the car,” and left.

I followed him out and sat in my seat. About five minutes later my mother and Chase came out. Chase looked really upset. I guess my mom told him to stop teaching me such bad language. I didn’t know it was bad anyway. Chase and my mom got in the car very calmly. My dad drove to the four way stop. I was half paying attention. The next thing I knew my mom was screaming and I saw headlights coming. My dad turned 180 degrees. Then I woke up in the car my legs covered in blood and pined behind the drivers seat. I had no idea my parents already died. I had no idea we were involved in a crash. I turned my head to see Chase barley breathing. His face covered in blood also. “Chase,” I whispered, “what happened?”

“A truck hit us head on. I know your too young to understand this but you will in time, please stay away from Tom because he could do damage. He’s a no good womanizer. Don’t trust him with your life.”

“What?”

At that moment Chase left me. Left me alone in a car with three dead people in it. I woke up in the hospital hours later.

The lines kept repeating in my head. "Don't trust Tom. Don't trust Tom." For about the third time today I cried. Only this time I balled my eyes out. I cried until I had no tears left. I finally understood that chase actually gave me some good advice. His last words did in fact make sense. That’s when I felt Tom’s hand on my shoulder.

"Mel I," Tom started to say. I didn't even let him finish. I got up and went to the other side of the room and sat. "I didn't mean what I said you know. Max made me really angry that's all." 

I didn't say anything.  

"Mel I was angry. Angry that Nathan and Annie got out unseen. I do really want to have something with you. Just give me another chance." 

"My brother was right about you," I said under my breath. 

What did you say?" 

"My brother was right about you. My real brother." 

"What are you talking about?" 

"Chase told me before he died his last breathing words to me were that I shouldn't get close to you because your a womanizer. Told me that if I get near you, you would destroy me. Leave me in pieces. I broke his promise because I thought you changed. Matured." I laughed. "But I guess you haven't Thomas. You're still that same 15 year old boy who tries to get with every girl." 

"But I have changed. Really I have." 

I turned around to face him. "You know what?" I said as I put my finger on my chin. "You did take advantage of me. You only think about one thing. Sex. I'd bet you would fuck any girl who's drunk even your 'sister.'' I paused again. "I was actually fucked by my own 'brother.' You disgust me. You’re no more a brother to me than...than...the dirt that you walk on. Goodbye Thomas." I started to walk away he grabbed my wrist. "Don't you ever touch me again!” I said as I pulled away from him.

"Mel where are you going?" 

"Any where but near you." I started going down the stairs. 

"How will you support yourself? How will you eat? Where will you live?" 

"I don't know. I'll work the streets like so many before me have. I can't feel anymore dirty than I do now." I walked out the door and never looked back. 

Tom 

Max told me not to go after Mel and let her cool down. Annie went out to find her. She searched high and low but could not find Mel. Mel went missing for three days. Nobody knew where she was. I had honestly never felt this worried in my life. Mel did run away before when she really young but, she came back in a couple of hours. This time was different. She was missing for a couple of days. I sat in the chair near the phone hoping that maybe, just maybe, she would call saying that she wanted to come home. She never did. During those three days the paparazzi made our lives a living hell. They found out more information about Mel than anyone needed to know. They knew her name, how old she was, and how her family died in the crash. They also revealed the story about how my family had decided to adopt her. The story on every tabloid magazine was the same. 

People have no idea how to keep privacy private. Max made me go to a couple of radio stations to explain the whole concept about how she was my adopted sister. Not my real sister. Also stressing the fact that we don't have the same last name. Max told me to stick to the story that she was the drunken one and I was just trying to be a good friend and take her home.  Annie finally found her those three days later staying at the motel down the street from our house under the name Angela Dubois. I was hoping that Annie would get through to her today. Ask her to come home. Annie came in at that moment. I couldn't tell if she was pleased with her efforts or not. 

"Well," I said.  

"I got through to her today. I asked her to come home with me and she said she couldn't be in the same house as someone who rapes family members.” 

"That's it I'm going over to that hotel myself tomorrow apologize for the final time and tell her how I truly feel about her."