The Hospital

Tom 

I sat in the hospital room with everyone surrounding me. Siva unfortunately was stuck at the airport. When it was raining here it always seemed to be snowing elsewhere. Annie came walking out of Melanie's room, went over to Nathan and cried into his chest. Nathan put his arms around her and kissed the top of her head.

“It’ll be ok. She’ll wake up soon,” Nathan told her.

I really hoped Nathan was right.

The doctor then came out.  

"Mmm Mr. Parker you can see her now,” the doctor told me.

 I walked in the room with the doctor. The last time I saw her like this was after the accident. But this time was different she really did look like she was in a accident. To think that the scars from Michael had almost healed and know she was going to have new ones.

"I won’t sugar coat this like I did with her friend over there, she will make it but we don't know if after she wakes up what she'll be like She might never be the same again. She might wake up crazy. This second time she has had an incident with a car. She might have PTSD or something. I’ll leave it to you," he said left and shut the door.  

“She might have PTSD,” I said mocking him. “What kind of a doctor are you if you use words like might.”

I sat on the edge of her bed and held her stone cold hand and just sat there. 

"Tom...Tom...Tom..." she mumbled in her coma. 

I kissed her forehead. 

"Don't hurt me. I don't want the one person I love hurting me. Don't hurt me. I don't want my heart broken. I don't want to hurt." 

"Mel I won't hurt you I promise. I'll do whatever it takes to make you happy," I whispered in her ear and left the door.  

Max 

Tom came out with his hands in his pockets and his head down.  

I looked around nervously and asked if I could be the next one to go in and see Mel. 

"I don't know," Tom said. "Go ask the doctor." 

I guess the doctor overheard us and nodded for me to go in. Tom said she looked a hell of a lot worse now than she did nine years ago after the crash. I don't know she could look any better. The poor thing. This emotional roller coaster she has been on.

“This is all my fault,” I thought. “If I had just let the press thing slide none of this would have happened. It really was all my fault, but our PR people where on my ass about the whole thing.”

 No matter what I told myself I could not justify my actions. I was trying to keep our image clean. Hell what clean image anymore. Look what the whole thing has caused us anyway more trouble than it’s worth.  

"Tom...Tom...Tom...where are you."  

"If you can hear me I am so sorry Mel. I don't know how I will live with myself after this. I promise I won't be a strict anymore," I told her hoping that she could hear me. 

I walked out of the room into the waiting room and towards Tom, "she's calling for you Tom. She wants you to be in there with her not me," I whispered to Tom. 

"I can't do it. I can't go in there," Tom said crying. 

"Why not?"  

I must have said that very loudly because Tom backed away a little. 

"Because," he said wiping his nose on his sleeve. "I don't want to remember her in that way." 

"Mate I know it’s hard. But you need to be in there. She's going to freak if she sees your not there when she wakes up." 

He looked down at his shoes. 

"Think about Mel Tom. Think how she feels. She probably doesn't want you to remember what she looks like either. Pretend she is just sleeping or something I don't know. Do it for her Tom." 

Tom 

I thought about what Max said and went into her room. I sat on the edge of the bed. There was no sign of life in her. The only sound I heard was the sound of her life support beeping. 

"Tom...Tom...," she mumbled again. 

I got up and went over to her and started caressing her forehead.  

"I'm here Mel...Don't worry I'm here," I tried to say with a strong voice but it ending up sounding really raspy.  

"Tom." This time the moan almost sounded painful. 

"Mel wake up. It’s me. Remember Mel. Remember. I know you can hear me." 

Still nothing.  

"Remember all of those times in the yard. Remember the boys. Remember Annie." 

She started moving her hand a little. 

"Yes Mel. Remember more. How about your 18th birthday. What about that Mel."

I saw her eyes opening. “Who the hell are you,” she said to me in a very angry tone.

I just looked at her with a look of shock.

“I’m playing you Tom.”

“You little witch.” I gave her a very passionate kiss.

“You’re disgusting you know that.”

“Why?”

“I just woke up and you’re trying to make out with me already. I can’t even go to the bathroom by myself yet no less kiss someone.”

Annie came running in, “Go away Parker. You had your fun. It’s my time to talk to her.”

I sighed and went back into the waiting room.

“So much for that,” I thought.