Chapter 29 : I Just Felt Like Calling You

How do you deal with heartbreak? How do you prepare yourself for a heartbreak that is certainly coming? How do you get used to not being with someone who has been a very important part of your life?

The questions made Nijimura want to puke. He was just a freakin' middle schooler for Pete's sake. It's just a phase. They'll both grow; they'll both move on and just laugh at how silly they were in middle school. It's very easy for teenagers to mistaken certain feelings to love.

Love.

Isn't he too young for that?

If he is, then what is the right age? Twenties? Thirties? As long as you're not some stupid student anymore? Screw that. He didn't care anymore. He simply knew that he wanted for the days to last longer. Why should he even bother to label the feelings he had for Akashi? Whether he loves that redhead or not won't change anything anyway. Labels were the last thing he needed.

She might be leaving in two weeks. He had never been so grateful for the word 'might' before.

"Senpai," of course he could always count on the very subject of his thoughts to snap him out of his trance. "If you're not planning to finish that, I can take it from there,"

"Ah no, I'll finish it... You can go on ahead," Nijimura regretted it the moment the words left his mouth. Why make her go ahead when you know she's going to leave very, very soon?

Akashi sat across him resting her chin on her palm. He glanced at her uneasily then finally raised an eyebrow when he locked gazes with her.

"Truth is, you don't want me to," she stated.

"You're so cruel," Nijimura mumbled feeling his insides do back flips in mixed joy and whatever negative feeling it was. "Don't you want me to finish?"

"I do,"

I do... such nice words, Nijimura mused smiling at his self a little.

"Stop fantasizing, Senpai,"

"Shut up," he scowled.

"Are you sure you don't want me to continue that? You are distracted," Akashi said. Nijimura sighed and handed her the paper and pen.

"Truth is, you also don't want to leave," he said when she started to continue the paperwork. She just hummed softly, while Nijimura was back to the only task he could do: watch her work.

Maybe he'll move on. Maybe he'll forget eventually; he already has enough going on in his life after all. Surely, other things would keep him busy once... Once Akashi Seira leaves. Why is this so hard? It's not love, right? It's not. Shit. Since when did he even bother about love, again? Like some moments ago? Whatever, Nijimura was certain of one thing...

"I'll miss you," Nijimura blurted out. Akashi paused. Her hand stopped writing, and looked up at him.

"I-I mean--" he stuttered. She chuckled. He sighed and buried his face in his hands. "Never mind,"

"Well, it is flattering, Nijimura-senpai,"

"You're making fun of me, please stop." He grumbled while she let out yet another amused chuckle.

"I'll miss you too," she said almost playfully. Except that I'll see you again in a different state.

He groaned, "I am torn between being happy and being annoyed,"

"Then go for both," she smiled slightly. Akashi was torn between savouring each moment and trying to prepare herself for the drastic change that would surely happen once everything goes back to normal. Normal. What was normal for her again?