Chapter 20 : Inner Voice

Akashi Izumi had been working on the serum XX three years before Akashi Seira existed. She had finished it with her team just recently and had tried for a good number of times to say that it was an absolute success. All that's left to do was to make her cute little niece to make the decision.

"It's been a while, Masaomi," the brunette greeted her younger brother with a sly smile when Masaomi entered his mansion.

"What have you done to Seijuuro?" he asked not even bothering to return her greeting.

"I just let him have a new experience," she answered with arms crossed.

"A new experience? Izumi, this is madness!" he almost shouted taking a few steps to lessen the distance between him and his elder sister.

"Madness? Why, you always thought I was mad, and besides... I have just the thing you need to turn him back,"

"I demand that you--"

"No," Izumi cut him off glaring at him. Izumi's eyes had always been sharper than Masaomi's; he had always thought she was the more intimidating one between the two of them. "Since when did you even have the right to order me around?"

"Seijuuro is my son,"

"I'm surprised you even care," she laughed dryly. "Wasn't he just a puppet you need for an heir? Since when did you even see him as a son since Shiori--"

"Don't you dare," Masaomi said his voice laced with anger.

"Whether you'll have your 'precious' son back is up for him to decide," she replied indifferently ignoring the rising anger of her brother.

"The next time I come back, I want Seijuuro to be here," Masaomi declared.

Unbeknownst to the two adults was that Masaomi's 'precious' son-turned-daughter had been listening. She discreetly went back to her room with a hand clamped over her mouth. She closed the door behind her and let herself slide down and sit on the floor. She hugged her knees close to her body and let her head rest on top of it.

"What do I do?" she whispered softly.

------

The next morning, Masaomi left even before the youngest Akashi woke up.

------

"Akashi," Nijimura called her while she was changing into her indoor shoes that morning. He had been waiting for her to come to school. She's usually early that he could only think that she might have done it on purpose to come to school just five minutes before the bell rings.

"Good morning, Senpai," she greeted not bothering to look at him. She kept her voice even and her face neutral.

He blocked her path when she moved to walk past him. "We need to talk,"

She sighed and looked up at him. "We'll be late, please save it for later,"

"You're avoiding me," he stated.

"I am," he was taken aback by the bluntness of her answer. No sugarcoating, no excuses given, straight to the point and just the plain truth, it was just so Akashi.

"If this is about yesterday then-"

"We can talk about it later, I don't want to be tardy just because we had that kind of talk, Nijimura-senpai," The dangerous edge on her voice sent Nijimura to a red alert. It was as if she told him that: save it for later or we don't talk at all. She excused herself and went on her way to her classroom.

Her steps were heavier than usual, and she walked even faster than her usual speed. She felt childish, but it was satisfying. The bags under his eyes and that pathetic look on his face were enough to tell her everything went as she pleased. It was very clear to her that he felt lost. It was so satisfying, yet she wanted to throw herself at the nearest river, just sink at the bottom and hope that everyone forgets she ever existed.