Chapter 21: When You're Ready

Nijicchi's Nonsense: I might've forgotten that I was writing this for fun .-.

--------------

Akashi left Nijimura wordlessly. He wanted to go after her, but what would he say? Everything that would come out of his mouth may just have a negative effect.

Why didn't he ever consider how Akashi felt? Why didn't he ever think that the redhead's father had her freedom in his hands? Why didn't he think that just by simply liking him, she might have to go against the man who was holding her tightly in chains?

I'm so selfish. He had only been thinking about his self. He had only been worrying about simpler things. He cursed his self over and over, but he still couldn't understand. Why? Why Akashi? Why did she tell him that?

"I hate you."

Those three words ran through his mind over and over. She was trying to tell him something else, something completely different from the word 'hate'.

"It's frustrating..."

Was she really trying to say something else? Or was Nijimura just overthinking?

"You make me feel weak,"

Nijimura picked up his blazer then clumsily wore it again as he dashed off to find Akashi. He knew she goes home by herself when there's no basketball practice. He should be able to catch up to her.

He ran even faster when he saw a glimpse of red hair. He thought of the many possible ways he could do to stop her and get her attention. Hug her from behind? Grab her arm? Her wrist? Then just turn her around and kiss-- scratch that, he'll go for the hug.

Akashi heard the loud and heavy footsteps from behind; strong arms wrapped around her even before anything could register to her mind. Her eyes widened as she turned her head to look at Nijimura's face. He wasn't even panting; he held her shoulders and turned her around to make her body face him.

"I like you too, Akashi!" he said looking intently at her eyes. Her cheeks were quick to have a tint of red and so did he right after those words came out of his mouth.

"What are you--"

"I like you too,"

"Don't say that," she casted her gaze to the ground.

"I already did, and I'll say over and over again if I have to," he replied.

"I can't--"

"It's fine,"

"You'd just get hur--"

"It's also fine. Hurt me if you will, it's fine with me," he said. This was his answer; he was through with being a coward. "Hurt me as much as you want."

She looked back at him. She bit her lip as she saw that his face was flushed. Akashi can't help but think that a flushed Nijimura was cute(a word she doesn't always use to describe him because he's more of the cool type). She frowned at him before saying, "Are you a masochist?"

His face broke into a smile as he laughed. Akashi just raised an eyebrow, "Seriously, Akashi? That's all you have to say?"

The atmosphere turned lighter as Nijimura laughed out loud his shoulders shaking. Seeing him like that, Akashi could only smile. It's not everyday that you see Teikou's strict (and violent) basketball team captain laugh like that.

"I'm not really a masochist, but Akashi-sama might have turned me into one," he joked when his laughter had subsided but a goofy grin was still on his face.

"Pardon?"

"Never mind that," he shrugged.

"Nijimura-senpai... You said 'I like you too', didn't you?"