Chapter 4 : Challenge

"You're not doing it properly..."

"What do you know?", the guy named Ibara Sato replied irritated at the petite girl that walked up to him.

"Just enough...you'll only develop bad habits that way", Akashi replied.

"Hmph, how should I do it then, Ms.know-it-all?", Ibara replied with a hint of sarcasm.

"I'm sure you know how, you're just too lazy to do it right."

"Don't be too full of yourself just because you're cute and all...oujo-chan",

"This is also for your own good, why not just admit it your mistake... Even I, will win against you at this rate", she replied in a sharp tone.

"Are you challenging me? What can a girl do?", he replied in a mocking tone.

"Akashi-chan...", Momoi softly called out to the redhead. The pink-haired girl wasn't really sure how will things turn out.

Akashi looked at Momoi and smiled assuring her of the redhead's victory.

"Would you like me to show you?", the redhead replied with a slight smirk.

"I'm curious", the guy leaned forward at her and looked right at her ruby eyes. "I'd feel bad going on a one-on-one with a little girl though"

"You scared?", she replied with a sharp smile challengingly.

"Just telling the truth little miss... Who would want to mercilessly crush a little girl right?", he straightened his back and continued to look down on the redhead. "We're gonna do 5v5 for our practice anyway so you wanna join?", Akashi didn't falter at the sharp tone of the other and just kept her eyes straight.

"Count me in",

"Don't go crying if you ever lose okay?", he leaned forward once again smirking at the redhead, but then a hand got in between them and pushed the guy's face away from Akashi. The two both looked at the owner of the hand.

"Seriously, just leave you guys for a minute or two and you've already started fighting?", Nijimura then put his hand down.

"Don't worry captain, we'll fix this oursleves", the guy replied. Their captain just raised an eyebrow.

"We're having a 5v5 match", the redhead said explaining how they'll fix it.

Nijimura narrowed his eyes."Seriously? You brats sure love to fight among yourselves don't you?"

"Nah, it's just a friendly match, oujo-chan here just seems like she wants to play so badly."

Nijimura raised an eyebrow. "You", he turned to the redhead."Come with me for a second", he gestured her to follow her and she did as he walked away towards the side of the gym.

"What exactly are you thinking?", he asked as he crossed his arms across his chest.

"I have certain things to prove", they just looked at each other. He squinted his eyes at her.

"Give me a good reason why I should let you guys have this "friendly match" as Ibara puts it."

"Because this kind of situation will happen again if you don't let us have this match... You know full well of this team Senpai; I'm sure you must know why."

Nijimura didn't really need to ask. Of course he knew; his team has some overconfident, too full of theirselves members afterall. He didn't reply; he didn't feel the need to. Silence passed between the two as both tried to read the other.

"I'll win, just trust me...like you always do, Captain", at her statement he sighs in the defeat. He really feels like he's talking to a female Akashi Seijuuro.

"Fine, go ahead and play. Just make sure you win... It won't be very nice for you if you lose here", he replied. She let a small smile form on her lips. "But are you gonna play in that?", he added as he eyed her uniform.

"Don't worry I'm wearing sports shorts", she replied as she lifted up her skirt, but stopped from fully lifting it up when he shoved his hand on her face.

"Even so, don't just lift up your skirt so casually", he scolded her with a light tint of pink on his cheeks.

"Senpai", he put his hand away the moment the word 'senpai' escaped her lips.

"And your shoes?"

"In my locker," Nijimura crossed his arms again and raised an eyebrow. "Getting it will be a good warm up," she added.

"Fine go ahead" he replied while massaging his temples. He walked back to the guy who challenged the little redhead.

"Where's oujo-chan?"

"Just went out to get her shoes. I'm approving of this friendly match as you call it but don't do anything inappropriate," he ordered the other.

"Inappropriate?"

"Like getting too physical, I'm not tolerating those, you got that?" Nijimura gave him a sharp look. He just nodded at the captain with lips closed tightly. Everyone knows what'll happen if you get on Nijimura's bad side. Haizaki was a living embodiment of the captain's way of 'disciplining' afterall, and things didn't really went too well for the poor guy.

Nijimura went to the side and settled his self on a bench. He wondered how will things go. If it was Akashi Seijuuro, then he wouldn't be worrying like this, but since it's not him, Nijimura can't help but worry. A manager challenging a player, just what the hell is wrong with them? His thoughts were cut off when a bottle of water appeared on his line of sight. He looked up then saw Momoi handing him the bottle. He took it then mumbled a small thanks.

"Will Akashi-chan be fine?" she asked as she sat beside their captain.

"I hope so," he replied before drinking.

"Then why did you let them play, Senpai?" she asked frantically.

"Because this team is full of airheads, they gladly obey those who are stronger... just like how animals do," he replied calmly before drinking again. Momoi grimaced slightly with the comparison that Nijinura just made, but she simply can't disagree with that. Unfortunately, it was the truth for most of the members of the basketball club.

---

Akashi took off her blazer, rolled up he sleeves up then tied her crimson hair up. Other second years were on her team along with Kise. She could've had Aomine and the others on her team but that would prove nothing. Ibara could simply say that she won because of her teammates' insane basketball prowess, and she doesn't want that.

"This will just be a ten minute game, got that?" Nijimura said with a ball in his hand and a whistle in the other.

The sound of the whistle resounded signaling the start of the game.