Chapter 43

Merida's Point of View

She's gone. Just disappeared right before my eyes. Suddenly I felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders. I looked away from the ash that is lying on the ground and turned to see Hiccup smooth, gentle face lifeless before my eyes.

I felt something on my shoulder I jumped at the sight of who it was. It was Hope. "He's gone, and he's not coming back. Because of me!" I cried. The tears came streaming down my face like a rainstorm. She pulled the other side of my shoulder so she was hugging me tightly.

"It wasn't your fault Merida, you should know that," how can she say that I'm the one who shot him with that arrow, oh god it's still in him. With all my might I ripped the arrow out. I pulled him closer to me I couldn't let go, only because I didn't want to.

"Merida, you gotta let him go," I looked up at Hope and she nodded. "I know, but I never got to say goodbye," she smiled at me and said "Then say it now," she left my side and walked over to the others.

I smoothed Hiccup's hair away from his face. I started "Okay I don't know how to start this but here it goes. Thank you for saving me when I needed it most and I didn't realise it. You were right all along and I never believed you. But now I remember. I remember how much you cared for me, how much I loved you doing that, how much time we had together, how much I appreciated that, how much I was mesmerized by your emerald green eyes. But now all that is gone because of me and I will never forget what I've done. It shall haunt me for the rest of my life. Because-" I pulled him closer to me and carried on "Because I love you."

Comment on what you think so far and thanks for reading.