Chapter 36

"What!?' I yelled at the doctor. 

There was no way I had cancer. There had to be a mistake. I'm healthy, it's not like I- Holy shit I smoke. I smoke. I smoke. I smoke. 

I smoke. 

"What caused it?" I asked him. He looked down at his clipboard and scratched his head. I looked down at Niall and squeezed his hands. He was still crying and it killed me seeing him like this. 

"I believe it runs in your family, your fathers side" He told me. I looked back at the doctor. 

"Oh. How- how long do I have left? Is there anyway to...live?" I asked him, part of me wanting him to answer and the other part not wanting him to. He looked at me and then looked around at everyone in the room, wondering if I wanted them to hear. 

"Can you guys leave the room for a second?" I asked all of them through tears. They nodded and started to leave, but Niall didn't move. I looked down at him wiping my eyes. 

"Niall please" I told him. He shook his head. Not moving an inch. I didn't want him to leave, but the doctor couldn't say bad news in front of Niall. 

I looked up at his mom and she took Niall's hand and finally got him to go out of the room. He resisted at first but finally left, but his eyes never left mine before the door shut. 

"So doc" I said through closed eyes, tears coming down my face. "When am I gonna die?" I asked him, knowing there was no other reason that he would tell me they should leave. He sat down on the bed next to me and patted my leg in a fatherly way. 

"I'd say a couple months, but there is no way to be sure. You're too far gone. I'm so sorry Ariel" He told me. I nodded, 

"It's okay. Does my mom know?" I looked down at my hands, not being able to look him in the eye. 

"Yes, Niall's mom called her. She should be here by tomorrow" I nodded.

"Don't tell Niall and his family" I blurted out, looking up to meet his gaze. "I can't hurt him again, not this way. Tell him I will be alright, you can't let him know that I'm going to die" I started saying a hundred miles an hour.

He looked at me sympathetically. 

"I don't know.." He started to say. 

"Please" I whispered. "I'll tell him when I'm  ready, when he's ready." 

"Okay" He told me. I thanked him endlessly until he stopped me. 

"Also, you get something from the Make A Wish foundation" He told me. I nodded and thanked him again and he was out the door. 

Niall came back in and sat on my bed next to me. 

"What did he say?" He asked me through tears. His voice was strained, I hated seeing him like this. And it was all because of me. 

"He, he said I was going to be okay, I just have to do some Chemo treatments" Niall smiled and hugged me, then kissed me. 

"Thank god, I could never be without you" He said, hugging me again. 

"Yea" I said, "Me either"