Chapter 52: Crownless Princess

September 

She invited me to join her eat breakfast, but I'm already done with mine so I decided to drink coffee na lang while she eats. We talk as if it's been years kami uling nagkahiway--pero I think tama ang hinala ko. There's something weird about Maggie. The way she acts; the way she speaks; even the way her eyes move--they're singing in unison of some kind of weirdness. The only usual or should I say normal thing that I notice from her at the moment is her kadaldalan. Pero still, I can sense it--she's being madaldal not because she's acting her normal self, but because she's hiding something from me, or maybe avoiding something. I'm really not sure. 

When I try to instill my thoughts in our conversation, or open a new topic, she immediately tells a new story that hinders me from talking--and that is not her normal attitude. The Maggie I know knows how to listen, when to speak, and what to say. But now, all I'm doing is to listen. Parang ayaw niya akong pasalitain. Parang ayaw niyang ma-corner ko siya--and that keeps me wondering. 

Oh, my God! I'm getting paranoid. This is the thing I don't like about myself--too keen to observe, too attentive to details. Lahat ng movements, words na ginamit, and even sound na na-produce ng kausap or kaharap ko, binabasa ko. Too much that I think I'm getting paranoid. Ugh! 

To be honest, I would like to ask her a question: Who is Dave na na-mention ni MJ kanina? I thought wala siyang kilalang Dave or David. I know, Maggie and Dave are in the same school and same batch, and yet I know too na hindi sila magkakilala. Maggie said it when I told her about Dave. Pero why do I feel that there's something? All of a sudden, something crossed in my mind: I haven't told Dave about Maggie, yet. Hence, there's really a missing link amidst my discreet mental queries. 

"Wait, cuz!"  I finally made singit.

"Aahhh..." Napanganga siya bigla.

Nag-isip muna ako saglit if I'll go straight to my question na pero ang nasabi ko lang, "The chow-chow, isn't it cute?" 

She sighed and said, "Oo nga, ate. Kaya nga sobra akong na-surprise kanina, eh. Gift daw ni mama sa'ming tatlo. Um, ikaw--anong gift mo sa'kin?" 

"Hm, siyempre, meron na. I'll give it on Christmas. Eh, gift mo sa'kin?" 

"Wala pa nga, eh. Baka bukas or sa isang araw pa ako mag-aayos ng mga pang-regalo. Siyempre hindi ka mawawalan. Ikaw pa." 

Then suddenly, napansin ko na lang uli na iba na naman ang usapan namin. Honestly, I felt relieved knowing Maggie and I are still okay--no rifts, no any negative feelings for each other--but, god, I can really sense she's trying to divert me. 

"You know what, cuz, I honestly thought you were mad at me," I blurted out in the middle of our talk. 

She was surprised with what I blurted out, so do I. "A-ate... Pwede ba?" 

I felt a bit nervous with what she's gonna say. Will she admit it--may nagawa nga ba akong mali sa kanya na hindi ko alam, or baka naman wala talaga at paranoid lang talaga ako? She continued, "Pwede, tagalog lang?" 

"He... He he," tanging reply ko. I thought serious na kami pero lagi na lang may bale ang pinsan kong 'to. Hindi niya talaga kaya ang magseryoso nang sobrang tagal. The best thing about her pa is she's so positive--the thing she taught me. 

"Bakit naman ako magagalit sa'yo? Ano ka ba?! Ate naman kasi. Paulit-ulit? Busy nga ako sa studies ko, kaya sorry na. Babawi talaga ako, promise!"