Hear No Secrets Chapter 42

Hear No Secrets

Taylor Lautner as Grant Clark

Kristin Kreuk as Chloe Lang

Chapter 42

            The five of us gymnasts that were going to the competition cheered and chanted as we left our house. We were dressed in our national team uniforms and had our duffle bags over our shoulders. Mia, Lana, and Grant were close behind and Mom, Peter, and Sam behind all of us. We separated into two vans where Mom and Peter hired drivers to take us to the airport. I sat next to Grant and Whitney in the van while we rode to the airport. I didn’t think it would be awkward, until I remembered that the last time Whitney and Grant really talked was at the competition where he basically insulted her. I expected Grant to fall asleep because I know he hates waking up early, but he stayed awake the entire ride to the airport. He rested his head on my shoulder.

“He’s not used to this is he?” Whitney asked.

I looked over at her and smiled, “This is the first major competition he’s really been to. He’s never really been a morning person.”

She chuckled, “I’m sure he will get used to it.”

“No I won’t,” Grant interrupted.

He lifted up his head and I smiled at him.

I nodded, “Yes you will.”

He shook his head, “I refuse.”

“You refuse?” I laughed, “Really? You get up early for school.”

“Yeah but that’s school,” he said, “And this is earlier.”

“I can’t wait for the cameras to see him,” Whitney said.

I chuckled and Grant looked at me.

“Did she just say what I think she did?” he asked.

I nodded, “Probably.”

“What cameras?”

“Grant, we’re basically celebrities of the gymnastics world which means everyone interested in what’s happening with our lives. Since you’re in it, they’ll be taking pictures of you.”

“And Mrs. Lang and Peter update her website frequently and even add personal pictures. They all already know who you are they just haven’t seen you in person yet.”

He groaned and leaned his head against my shoulder again.

I chuckled, “I told him this would happen before I just think he hoped it wouldn’t.”

“Not into attention?” she asked.

“Are you kidding?” Mia interrupted. “The entire school still thinks he’s deaf. He never talks.”

            We pulled up to the airport and everybody piled out with their bags. We went through security and baggage and sat down to wait for boarding. When we were allowed to board we all got on the plane and it took off for France. It’s obviously not the first time I’ve traveled out of the country, but it is the first time I’ve traveled out of the country since I really changed. Last time I was traveling out of the country I was going to the Olympics. I had my team with me and I was pumped up and ready to beat Whitney. I didn’t even care about anyone else at the time because to me Whitney was the only one that was really a threat. The coaches disagreed and made us talk things out several times, but not even they could stop our feud. Now I’m on my way to France to compete with my national team members. This time my team has become my family. I trust them more than anyone else in the world, and I never felt like this a few years ago. They were just competitors then. I drifted off to sleep quickly after sitting down in my seat.