Chapter 15

*A week later*

It's the night of the dinner gala. I am wearing a long black dress with matching heels. I spent an extra amount of time doing my makeup than I usually do. I want to leave a good impression on the people at the gala. Especially Kevin's dad and Karen.

I check in the mirror again to make sure that I have no strands of hair sticking up. As I'm checking my hair nervously, Kevin walks into my room.

He looks even more dazzling than usual. He is wearing a black tux with a white button down under the jacket, and a bow tie around his neck, untied. His hair is slicked back, giving him a more mature look.

Kevin sighs when he sees me. He takes long strides as he makes his way over. He is standing behind me while tying his bow tie. He's not even paying attention to what he's doing. Instead he's looking at me. His intense gaze makes me feel even more nervous.

"Relax. It's just a dinner." He rolls his eyes as he finishes his bow tie.

"Yeah, but I'm going to be surrounded by fancy, rich people. Which isn't something I see daily." I reply back.

Kevin rolls his eyes again, and places his hands on my shoulders. He gives them a little squeeze. I can feel myself relax a little at the comforting gesture.

Even if we are dating, Kevin can still be a jerk, but not as bad like he used to be. He still rolls his eyes, and he still says snarky comments, but that's the reason why we're together.

I never worked up the courage to tell him that I love him. I'm too afraid of the thought of him rejecting me. When we spent that night together I was so close to admitting my love for him, but I stopped myself.

Kevin leans down until he's leveled with my ear. He whispers gently, "I promise, I won't let them intimidate you. Now let's go, the limo is outside."

I give him a small nod. He takes my hand and leads me out the front door.

When we walk out into the cool New York air, I start to shiver a little bit. Even though the sleeves on this dress is long, it's pretty thin.

"Cold?" Kevin asks.

I look down and nod my head. Kevin laughs a bit, and places his hands on my shoulders again. He gently trails them down my arms. Warmth spreads through me as he reaches my hands. I sigh contentedly at the comfortable feeling.

Kevin gives me a very prince-like grin and leads me to the limo again. Kevin's limo driver, Miles, smiles at us as we make our way towards the car. He opens the door to the backseat. I get in and scoot over a little so Kevin can fit in.

Miles walks around the car and gets in the driver's seat. I listen quietly as he puts the car in drive and starts driving down the bustling streets of New York City.

The closer we get to the place the more nervous I get. I gaze out the window as I watch the flashing car light pass by.

A warm tanned hand touches mine. I look up and see Kevin looking at me. He doesn't say anything. Instead he's giving me a reassuring look.

I feel like I can breathe a little easier. He's not good with his actions nor his words, but something about Kevin makes me understand him easily. Which is weird because Kevin is one of the hardest books to read.

I lay my head on his broad shoulder and listen to the loud sound of car horns and the radio playing softly.

~

The ballroom that the gala is taking place in is at the Four Seasons hotel. A very expensive and luxurious hotel that I never pictured myself to step foot in it.