Chapter 17

After Amber left, I took a nice, long shower. When I finish getting dressed, I head into the living room to cuddle up with Charlie, and watch some Netflix. That is until my phone starts ringing. I pick it up and see that it's my mom calling. I wonder what she wants? She doesn't usually call me out of the blue. When she does call me, it's because she wants something from me.

I accept the call and press the phone against my ear. "Hello?"

My mom's bouncy voice fills my ear. "Hi sweetie. How are you?"

"Good. I've been busy with work lately."

"Oh well that's not good. I'm glad I called you." She replies.

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. What does she mean 'I'm glad that I called you'? She obviously wants something.

I cut straight to the point. "Mom, I know you called for something. What is it?"

The other end of the phone is filled with laughter and cheering. Sounds like someone's having a good time.

"Shoot. You got me." My mom laughs. I don't reply because I know she has something else to say. "I was just letting you know that I have invited you and that Kevin fella to the Bahamas for our family vacation.

I just stare ahead. I don't say anything. The name 'Kevin' echoes through my mind. It feels like it's been years since I've heard that name. The girls have mentioned his name before, but hearing my mom say it brings a funny feeling in my stomach.

Plus the thought of going to the Bahamas with him makes the whole situation even more weird.

"Brooke, honey, are you there?" My mom asks worriedly.

"Y-Yeah." My voice sounds raspy. I clear my throat and continue my sentence. "I'm here."

"Whew, I thought we got disconnected. So are you guys coming?"

I run my hand through my hair as I bite my lip. I'm about to tell her about our break up, but she interrupts me. "I'll take that silence as a yes. I can't wait to see you guys. Believe me, the Bahamas is such a beautiful and romantic place. I hope you have your passports ready because I already sent in your tickets."

My eyes widen and I try to correct her. "Mom, wait. You-"

The sound of the dial tone makes me stop. I blink in surprise. What just happened? She didn't even let me finish my sentence.

I put my head in my hands and stare down at the floor. I take a deep breath. I have two choices. I can either call my mom and explain to her that Kevin and I are over, or I can call Kevin and explain to him that my mom sent us plane tickets for the Bahamas and that he needs to go.

I hesitantly pick up my phone and start dialing a number. I can't believe I'm doing this.

~

I pack most of my summer clothes and some of my fall clothes. The summer clothes is for the Bahamas since it's warm throughout the year and the fall clothes is for when I come back to cold New York.

I zip up my duffel back and look down. Charlie is looking up at me with his ears down. My heart aches at the little puppy dog face he's giving me. I'm so close to unpacking my things and stay here with him. But I don't want to let my mom down since she's expecting me.

My phone buzzes beside me. I look down and see that I have a text. I'm downstairs. Is all it says.

I start to break out in a sweat. Which is weird because it's not even hot in my apartment. It's actually the exact opposite.