Chapter 19

After saying goodbye to my family, Kevin and I decide to go relax at the beach. 

I bury my toes in the sand. The sky is dark but it is lightened up by the million stars in it. The sound of crickets chirping in the night brings peace in the air. The exact opposite of the sound of car horns in New York. I stare at the ocean and watch the waves hit the sand. 

I watch Kevin come back from the bar with his Corona and my Bud Light Straw-Ber-Rita. He sits down beside me, and hands me the Bud Light Straw-Ber-Rita. I thank him and open the can. This is about my third drink tonight, and surprisingly, I'm not tired. Usually when I drink this much, I'll immediately fall asleep. Tonight seems different though, maybe it's the air here. 

"You have a very welcoming family." Kevin speaks into the quiet air. 

"Yeah, they are. Sometimes they can be...protective, but once you get to know them they're alright." I agree. 

I look over at Kevin, and see that he's staring at the ocean while drinking his Corona. There he goes with that look he makes when he's in deep thought. 

I set my drink down beside me, and stand up. I look around to make sure no one is around, and take off my bikini cover up. Kevin lifts his eyes away from the ocean, and towards me. I wink at him as I take my hair out of it's ponytail. I run my fingers through it. I can feel Kevin's eyes watching my every move. 

I nod my head towards the water. "I don't know about you, but I'm going to go for a swim. I didn't wear this bikini for nothing." 

I don't wait for his response. Instead head towards the water. I can feel his eyes on me. It brings a grin on my face. The bikini is obviously doing something to him. Knowing that I got his full attention, brings me confidence.

I dip my foot in the water, and hum at the warmth. This feels good. I keep walking until the water is at my stomach. I look at the beach and see that Kevin is taking his shirt off. He chugs the rest of his beer, and starts heading towards the water. 

"You. Are. A. Tease." He yells over the waves as he gets closer to me. I just laugh and run my hands on the surface of the water. 

Kevin finally gets to me, and he pulls me in his arms. I think that he's going to kiss me from his close proximity, but he suddenly picks me up bridal style. I squeal as he starts to swing me around. 

Kevin laughs and dips me. The ends of my hair touches the water. Kevin lifts me back up and finally stops swinging me. I am breathing heavily from my screaming. Even though he  has stopped swinging me, I'm still holding on tightly. 

Kevin looks into my eyes, and I see that familiar sparkle in his chocolate brown eyes. They hold happiness. I stare back at him, as I am still trying to catch my breath. 

"Your eyes are sparkling. They look beautiful." He whispers in the quiet night air. His voice holds amazement as he continues staring at me. 

"Yours are too." I point out. 

Kevin chuckles and starts leaning forward. I close my eyes when I feel his lips press against mine. Our kiss isn't heated as it was earlier. It's sweeter and slower. I move my hands from his shoulders, and to the back of his neck. 

The heat of our bodies, and the warmth of the water, makes me feel lightheaded. The good lightheaded, though. 

We pull away and I place my head on his shoulder. The soothing sound of the waves starts to make me feel tired. 

Kevin walks out of the water and back to the sand. He sets me down when we reach our belongings. I slip my cover up back on, and put on my flip flops on. I wait for Kevin as he starts putting his shoes on and picking up our empty beers.