Chapter 12

Just got off the plane :) -Brooke

I hit send and put my phone back in my purse. I sit my luggage beside me and look around the airport parking lot. It's crowded as usual. I won't be able to see her car.

I just got off the plane and I am now waiting for my mom to come pick me up. I just sent her a text message to let her know that I am waiting for her and where I am. She replied with an okay and told me she wasn't far.

My phone buzzes on my lap. I pull it out and look at the text message.

That's good. Call me when you get settled. Bet you're tired ;) -Kevin

I roll my eyes in adoration at the winky face. I'm about to text him back, but a car horn honks. I look up and see my mom hanging her head at the window, calling my name.

I smile at her and hurry over. She pops the trunk open and I put my luggage inside. I close it and get in the passenger seat.

"Oh my gosh! Sweetie, I've missed you so much!" My mom exclaims.

Before I can put my seat belt on, she pulls me into a tight hug. I hug her back even tighter. The feeling of her warmth brings tears to my eyes. Happy tears, of course.

"I missed you too mom. How is everyone?" I ask as we pull away.

I put my seat belt on and push the seat back a little. The space in the plane was so cramped that I couldn't recline my chair so now my back is hurting.

My mom hums a response. "They're doing good. For the past month everything has been hectic. With the wedding and everything, but now we're okay."

I nod and look out the window. Cars are wrapped around the whole airport. This traffic reminds me of New York. With all the cars and everybody trying to get out at the same time. It's crazy.

Thirty minutes later we finally make it out of the parking lot and are on our way to my parent's house. I can't wait to see everybody. Four years has been too long.

We sit in silence as the radio plays softly. The beat to 'Bad Blood' is starting to play. I hum along to the song.

"Brooke, how is New York?" My mom breaks the silence.

I look over and see that her eyes are still on the road. I relax my shoulders and lay my head on the window.

"It's good. It's still busy New York, but I enjoy it." I reply.

"That's nice." My mom responds.

I'm trying to keep my eyes open, but I'm so tired. I didn't get a chance to get some sleep on the plane because I had screaming babies in front of me and behind me.

I start to doze off until my mom starts talking.

"What's this that I've been hearing about you going out with a male model? What's his name, Kelvin, Calvin.."

That wakes me up. My eyes fly open and I can feel myself tense up. How did she know about Kevin and I? My mom is not the type to look up on social media or anything. She will read magazines here and there but not the gossip ones. Unless someone told her, but who?

My mom is still trying to figure out Kevin's name when I reply, "His name is Kevin. Kevin Anderson."

"Oh! That's his name! I knew it was similar to Kelvin." She exclaims. She gets off the exit and stops at a red light. Out of the corner of my eye, she turns to me. I don't look at her though. Instead I continue staring out of the window.

"Isn't he that famous music producer and famous fashion designer's son?" She aks.

I want to tell her so bad that that isn't true. That all of that was a cover up story from the truth. I won't do that to Kevin, though. That would be an invasion of his privacy and I'm not type of person.