Chapter 8

B R O O K E

Kevin's lips gently move against mine. I am in too much of a shock to kiss back.

Am I dreaming or is he really kissing me? I put my hands on his chest, and push. He doesn't move but breaks the kiss.

"What are you doing?! Don't you have a girlfriend?" My voice sounds panicked as I register everything. 

Kevin wipes his lips. His dark brown eyes stare into my pale blue ones.

Something wet runs down my cheek. Without noticing, I start crying. Great now I'm embarrassing myself. I've tried so hard to not cry because of him but he makes it hard not to. He's so difficult. 

Kevin's eyes widen in surprise as the tears continue coming down. Why can't I stop crying? 

"What's wrong?" He asks. 

I turn around so he can't see my face. He has seen enough of me crying. I wipe my cheeks furiously as I sniffle. 

"N-Nothing." I sniff. 

"Brooke." His voice goes from gentle to stern. 

I give a deep sigh and turn myself back around. I blink my eyes a few times to get rid of the blurriness so I can see him clearly. "Fine. Your, your, just so confusing! One minute you dislike me and then the next you're nice to me. It's like you have two people inside of you! Which is really frustrating for me. And you know what-" 

Kevin stops my rambling by kissing me again. The sudden action makes me feel weak on my knees. Kevin must realize because he pulls away. 

"Sorry. You were ranting and looked like you were running out of breath." he gives a sheepish smile. 

I blink up him. All those strange emotions I've been feeling come back. My stomach feels like it's in knots as I look at Kevin. Then it hits me. Like a slap in the face. I like Kevin. Even after those smart comments he has made I actually have a crush on him. 

I have to sit down. This is all coming to fast. I hurriedly sit down on the couch and stare at the blank TV. I can feel Kevin sitting down beside me. I don't bother looking at him.

"I like you. That's why this is all too much for me right now. You don't have to say it back but that's how I feel." I close my eyes tightly as I say those words. 

Kevin is silent beside me. Out of the corner of my eye, I see that he has a surprised look on his face. Great my feelings just made this situation even more awkward than it was. 

Then the unexpected happens. Kevin pulls me into his arms. I squeak a little as I'm enveloped in his warmth. What is he doing? He's been doing a lot of surprises today. I can't help but enjoy it. Which is kind of scary.

I open my mouth to protest but he shushes me. I close my mouth back up. We sit in silence for awhile until he starts to speak. 

"I like you too. I may not show it because I'm a little fucked up in the head, but I do. When I was hanging out with Ariel I couldn't stop thinking about you. Sure I've known her longer, but I didn't feel attracted to her like I am with you. You're probably thinking that I am talking bullshit, but it's the truth."

I'm speechless. Did he confess that he liked me? I shouldn't believe him. He's probably teasing me. Like he usually does with me.

But I can't the happiness that comes over me. Just hearing the most coldest person I've ever met say that makes me happy. Even if he probably doesn't mean it.

I wrap my arms around his waist and look up. His brown eyes look soft as he looks at me. He definitely meant what he said. I give him a gentle smile and snuggle up to his chest. His heartbeat thumps softly.