Chapter 20

Are we really doing this?" I ask exasperatedly.

Kevin grins at me and nods his head. His eyes has that sparkle in them that makes him look like a little kid on Christmas morning.

Kevin's surprise was surfing. I look down at the tight swimsuit that he told me to put on. The piece of rubber is making me feel uncomfortable from the way it's clinging to my body.

"Come on. It'll be fun." Kevin takes both of my hands, and starts swinging them back and forth.

The enthusiasm he's putting into this makes my hesitance go away. I sigh and nod my head. Kevin grins and pulls me into a hug. The feeling of rubber against rubber is a little uncomfortable, but I ignore it.

Kevin and I head towards the ocean with our boards we rented. Kevin explains to me that I'm going to need to take it slow since it's my first time. I listen to him carefully as he gives me tips.

"Okay, now first carry your board out in the water." Kevin tells me.

He starts demonstrating by picking up his board, and carries it out into the water. I follow his lead, and wait for him to continue. Kevin then sets his board on the water, so that it is floating, and sits on it.

"To start off, you need sit down on the board, with your legs on each side. Then when you see a wave, start paddling, and stand. That's all there is. Surfing is all about balance." Kevin explains to me. I nod my head to let him know that I am listening. Kevin smiles at me, "Though that'll probably be hard for you since you're so clumsy."

I gasp and slap his shoulder. Kevin laughs as he gazes out into the ocean. There seems to be many waves coming, but Kevin hasn't paddled to not one. I wonder why he's not doing that. He did say that if I see a wave, that I start paddling.

"Kevin why aren't you paddling when there are so many waves?" I ask curiously.

"I'm waiting for the right wave to come. Not too big and not too small." Kevin gives me a quick glance, but turns back to the ocean.

I roll my eyes at his statement. I'm not having the best time. I'm kind of bored since we're sitting in the middle of the ocean, doing absolutely nothing. I swing my feet back and forth in the clear blue water. I hum gently to one of my favorite songs.

Five minutes later, I am about to tell Kevin that I'm leaving, until he suddenly starts paddling. My brow furrows on instant, and I hurriedly start paddling.

I watch as Kevin starts to stand up, and balance himself on the board. The way he did that made surfing look easy. I follow Kevin's moves, but when it came to balancing myself, I ended up with a mouthful of saltwater. I sputter as I try to get rid of the salty taste.

I look up at Kevin, and see that he's riding a wave perfectly. Like he's a professional at this. The way he manages to keep his balance as he moves the board through the wave kind of turns me on. I cup my hands around my mouth and yell out his name.

Kevin looks at me and winks. After that he doesn't stay on the board long as he falls into the water. My eyes widen, and I start swimming towards him.

Kevin lifts his head out of the water, and pushes his wet hair out his face. I breath a sigh of relief when I notice that he's okay. When I reach him, I pull him in a hug. Kevin lets out an oomph sound, but hugs me back.

"You scared me. I thought you were dead from the way you fell." I mumble into his shoulder.

Kevin puts his hands on my shoulders, and pulls me away from him a little. He stares my in my eyes, and leans forward. He gives my cheek a big smacking kiss. I laugh and push him away.