Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Remember when we were having lunch together at a fancy restaurant, and I told you I've been lied to a lot?" Kevin asks me.

I nod my head. Of course I remember. That was when I thought we were getting along, but I was mistaken. That was also when I realized Kevin was filled with mysteries

"Well it is true that I have been lied to. When I was 17 I had found out that my mom wasn't my mom. Coming to find out I was a love child." He breathes out.

He's staring out into the lake. I can tell that he has more to say so I don't say anything. Kevin takes a deep breath and averts his eyes away from the lake. Instead he moves them to me. 

"When I found out, I felt betrayed. For seventeen years of my life, I thought that Karen was my mom. I wrong, though." he murmurs.

I lean my head against his shoulder. He feels tense. I give his arm a comforting squeeze. I want him to know that I'm not going to judge. He starts to relax and smiles at me. 

"After that my dad started telling me all about my real mom. Who's name was Melissa Campbell. He was saying that she was a rich and a model. I demanded to see her and when I did, all that stuff my dad told me about her was bullshit. She wasn't a model and she wasn't rich. Instead she was stripper and lived in a run down apartment. She was stripper that lived on the bad side of New York and had sex with men for money."

Kevin turns his eyes back to the lake and just stares at it for awhile. He doesn't even blink. He just stares. After taking a moment he continues talking.  

"I asked her how she met my father. She told me that he had came to the strip club that she worked at and he wanted a private show with her. So she gave him what he wanted. Then a month later after their hook up, she realized her period was late. She went to the convenience store and bought a pregnancy test. She took it and the test came positive. When my dad came back to the club she told him. He freaked out because the sick bastard was married. He decided to take care of her by taking her to ultrasounds. When I was five, my dad took me away from her and raised me with Karen."

Kevin closes his eyes. I just sit there and let all those words sit in. No wonder he's so cold-hearted. He's been lied about his mother twice by his own father. Maybe that's why when he was talking about his father he looked angry. 

I suddenly feel bad for him. I was being bitchy towards him without knowing what's been bothering him. This man isn't heartless. He just locked it up because he's afraid of getting lied to again. 

Kevin pokes me on the cheek. I shake out of my thoughts and looks at him. He has a small smirk on his face.

"Don't look like that. You're making me not want to tell you the rest." he pokes my cheek again. 

"Are you sure you're ready to tell me more?" I whisper. 

He doesn't reply. It's just silence around us. It seems like he's thinking about telling me the rest. He then nods his head. 

"Yeah I'm ready to tell you the rest." 

I give him a reassuring smile. That seems to give him a boost of confidence because he doesn't take long to talk. 

"After talking with Melissa, I walked back home. I hated everything at that moment. I hated my dad, I hated Melissa, and I....hated myself." He balls his hands into fists on his lap. He takes his third deep breath of the night and continues.  

"When I came home I yelled at my dad for lying to me. I was so pissed that I didn't care that I was the kid and he was the adult. Luckily Karen was there because she calmed me down. Once I was calm she started explaining things. She told me that she was upset with my dad for getting another woman pregnant. Until he brought me home. She said she forgot about being angry with him. Instead her mind was filled with taking care of me like I was her own child. At first I thought she was bluffing, but she had this sincere look in her eyes. That was when I started remembering her smiling at me and doing all these wonderful things for me when I first came. I had felt safe and calm when I was around her."