-Chapter 16- The Guardians

J A C K

"Yo, Jack. Pitch has a new job for you." one of the gangmembers told me as he walked past me.

Hearing his name made my stomach twist, he made me sick, he disgusted me. On the outside I tried to keep a cool, non-caring attitude but on the inside. Oh, on the inside.

I have been with the gang for over a month now. Never has a month went by so slowly, every minute was torturing me mentally. The horrible jobs I got, the bad food and the begging of innocent children. After a while the kids got used to this lifestyle, forget their homes and families and got lost in the criminal world.

I have been in the news for my crimes a few times, my reputation has gone downhill. I don't have the guts to call Elsa, the public knows me as a 'dangerous' member of the group now. I have to continue. I know that if I won't try my best and fail, they will get Elsa. And who knows what they might do to her to make my life even more of a living hell. They're capable of anything.

I walked over towards the small pub that they had made inside this fish factory. I opened the door of the room and walked into a veil of smoke. I coughed a bit and tried to hold my breath while I walked over towards the bar where Pitch was sitting. My feet were getting heavier with every step that I got closer. I slowly sat down on one of the barstools.

"So, you have a job for me?" I asked casually.

"Yes, indeed, Frost. I don't want you to steal anything this time. You just need to pick up something for me that belongs to me. Outside of the alleys is a small abandoned shop, I dumped some of my stuff there. Now, I want you to get a painting for me. It's winter themed, you'll immediately see which one I mean." he said and he took a sip of whatever he was drinking.

"So, where can I find this shop?"

"Outside the alleys, there's only one small shop. It's hidden behind a few dumpsters but I know you'll find it. Now go." He said while he was focusing his attention on the cigar between his fingers.

I stood up and quickly made my way out of the pub. While I was walking through the corridor I got my phone out of my pocket and pressed in the numbers I did everday. Elsa's number. I leaned against the wall and stared at the screen. The same thought that haunted me every moment. You should call her.

"Argh, I can't." I mumbled and I quickly hid my phone in my pocket again. I don't deserve her. She needs someone responsible, not a streetrat who's part of the most dangerous gang around at the moment. I'll always need to hide my true identity in public, my own is ruined.

"Ye need to forget about her, Frost." I recognized the Australian accent.

"I can't, Bunny." I sighed while I turned around to face him.

"Ay know it's hard but ye gotta try. Ay mean, ye'll go insane if ye don't. Ye won't be able to reach out to her, ever." he said.

"How did you end up here anyway? You don't seem like a bad guy."

"A few years ago, Pitch helped meh out. Ay was broke, couldn't afford my apartment and ay couldn't find a job. Pitch gave meh the money, in order to pay for meh dept Ay had to steal for him." he said, I could see he didn't like talking about it.

"So, you've got a job as an art teacher now, you have been stealing for him for a while. What about that dept? Have you paid all of it already? When will you be free?" I asked. I honestly hoped he wouldn't leave me alone, I may sound selfish but he's the only person I can actually talk to here.

"Ay will never be free, mate. I've paid meh dept." He whispered while he looked around to see if no one was listening.

"What?"