-Chapter 2- Sneaking Out

Elsa’s POV

‘‘Argh, school uniforms are the worst! Eugene is never gonna fall for me if I keep walking around in an oversized blazer.’’ Punzie complained while she fixed her tie in front of our mirror.

‘‘For your information all the girls walk around in oversized blazers and ugly white knee high socks. Besides, the most important part is that he falls for your personality.’’ I teased her while I did some finishing touches to my French braid.

‘‘I hate it when you’re right.’’ Punzie chuckled while she got her bag. ‘‘You ready?’’ She asked.

‘‘Almost,’’ I said and I quickly sprayed some hairspray onto my braid and I grabbed my bag.

Not much later Punzie and I were pushing our way through the crowded corridor towards our first class. I was lucky that I had a lot of classes with Punzie, otherwise I wouldn’t survive here. We walked inside our first class, history. We plopped down on our usual spots and we started chatting since there were still students coming in and the lesson hadn’t started yet.

‘‘I miss shopping already.’’ Punzie sighed. ‘‘Too bad we can’t go outside the school grounds during schooldays.’’

‘‘We could go on Saturday if you want or are you going home for the weekend?’’ I asked.

‘‘No and no, I desperately need a hoodie or sweater. Something warm, I almost froze last night. You didn’t seem to be bothered.’’

‘‘You do know it means detention if we get caught?’’ I reminded her while getting my history books from my bag.

‘‘I know a shortcut to the mall, we’ll be back in no time. No one will notice that we’ve been gone.’’ she whispered.

‘‘Okay, fine. After school?’’ I sighed my defeat.

‘‘Thanks, Elsa! I knew you wouldn’t let me go on my own.’’ She squealed and she hugged me. I was having an odd feeling about all of this. What if we get caught? My father told me to behave, I don’t want to let him down. But I also don’t want to let Punzie down. I just need to be extremely careful. That’s all.

The teacher walked in and she started the lesson. I couldn’t keep my attention by the lesson. After I got caught staring out the window for a long time I pretended to be scrabbling down some notes. Gosh, it’s unbelievable how strict they are here.

In lunch break, Punzie and I sat by our usual table somewhere in the corner of the cafeteria. Anna and her roommate Merida joined us, like they always did. We were a pretty close group.

‘‘Els? Elsa!’’ Punzie waved her hand in front of my face. I snapped out of my thoughts and realized that we were walking through a maze of alleyways. We managed to sneak out from the back of the school, we had to climb over a huge fence and I ripped one of my ugly white socks during that which was nice, really...

‘‘What’s up with you? You seem a little distracted.’’ Punzie said. ‘‘You know what? Race you! That way I’ll keep you here with that head of yours!’’ Punzie giggled and she took off.

‘‘Uh, what? N-no! Punz, don’t!’’ I exclaimed, too late... She disappeared after taking a turn to the left. I tried to run after her but I soon ended up not knowing where to go. Unlike other students I didn’t sneak out to shop secretly. So I didn’t know this shortcut of them. Punzie on the other hand knew this like the back of her hand. I tried calling her name but it was without any use, I decided to wait for her. I’m sure that as soon as she got that sweater of hers she would come back.