Chapter Sixteen

"This is why I hate the Sea of monsters." Percy grumbled covered head to toe in black ink along with half of the crew. A giant green squid decided to pay the Argo ll a little visit. The result was the ship and its crew being drenched in sticky blackness. The only one who had avoided the mess was Annabeth who had been below deck.

Percy learned two things about giant green squid ink. One, it smelled like sardines and garbage mated and had a baby. Two, it stuck to every little tiny crack and crevice on the seven seas. The crew began learning these things as they, on their hands and knees, scrubbed the deck as hard as they could.

"We better get a new load of rum from Kretis for this." Leo muttered wiping the ink from his face only managing to smear it across his tanned skin. "Aye." The men chorused in agreement. As Percy cleaned, he let his mind begin to wander to his night with Annabeth. Since then, he had kissed Annabeth an additional 3 times durning night shifts. But as they got closer to their destination, King Amadeus' city of Kretis, Annabeth became distant and isolated again. She was back in own world. She was back to the guarded isolation of herself. Annabeth was fading farther and farther away from Percy.

The fading breath brushed her ear as the hint of a voice echoed in her ear.
"Your heart is black...a plague forced on your crew..." With a mangled cry Annabeth gasped awake, sitting up with blonde curls matted to forehead in a cold sweat. Her heart was pounding in an attempt to break through her rib cage and escape. The haunting memories of the man plagued her mind. In the privacy of her dark room, Annabeth allowed her cracks to surface and permits her to break, leaving the pieces in a pile of tears and sheets in the cover of night.

The early morning sunrise upon the glass like seas, was a sight painted from the heavens. Annabeth looked out, taking in the striking pinks and oranges of the wakening sky. She heard the boards creak under body weight before she felt the familiar arms around her. She felt the warmth of his chest against her back and saw the trident tattoo before anything. "Perseus." She whispered her acknowledgement.

"Hmmm." He smiled and nuzzled his nose into her beautiful golden locks. For a moment Annabeth allowed the warm and protected feeling surround her like a winter blanket. Only his voice broke her trance. "You've been avoiding me." He noted as his lips brushed her exposed neck. Not able to help it, Annabeth melted into him at his heavenly touch. Gentle fingers pushed away her hair as Percy's lips followed the path of her neck to her shoulder. He reached the middle of her shoulder when Annabeth stiffens. Percy could feel it. "What's wrong?" He turned the captain in his arms.

Reflected in her stormy gray eyes was a type of sadness that made Percy have the urge to hold her. "What's wrong wise girl?" He asked stroking his fingers down her pale cheek. Her lips parted to speak when sounds of the crew coming on deck. Annabeth quickly stepped away and escaped below deck. Jason caught an order from her and nodded before she was gone.

"Two days until we dock." Jason said as he helped Percy rig the sails on the mast. Both were tied to ropes at their waists in case they slipped. "What is in Kretis that we are after?" Percy asked only to receive a shrug. "Captains orders and we trust her. What she says goes." He nods and the day goes on with no events. Today was unusually quiet in the sea of monsters.

Percy stood at Annabeth's door rubbing his hands together trying to think through his seaweed filled brain of what to do. Something is wrong and Annabeth won't tell him. Gaining up the courage he knocked on her door. It opened and before he could get a word out, Annabeth threw her arms around his neck pulling him into the room and into a passionate kiss.

The door slammed behind them and he pinned Annabeth against the wall. A groan escaped her lips as her thin fingers knotted into his soft raven hair. The kiss was fierce, mixed with teeth clashing, lip biting, and hand roaming. Annabeth was so lost in the heat, she didn't even notice Percy lifting her and carrying her to the bed. She yanked on his hair feeling him nibble her bottom lip. Moaning, he laid her down as their mouths moved in a wild dance together. Annabeth felt like she would burn if she didn't feel his skin, so she slides her hands up his shirt feeling skin to skin. A shiver came from Percy as he ran his hands over the girl in front of him. Her legs, her stomach, her chest, her shoulders, her neck, her hair, everywhere and Percy's hands were all over it.

Suddenly Annabeth flattened her hands on Percy's chest pushing him away. Their lips broke apart causing them both to gasp for much needed air. Annabeth was sure Percy bit her lip. The taste of blood filled her mouth. "What-was that?" Percy pants with bright green eyes, flushed cheeks and messy hair. Annabeth laid under him with her chest heaving and an even paler face. Her storm clouds of eyes were wide. "I-I don't even know."

Studying her with sea green eyes Percy reached down and brushed a strand of hair behind her ear. "I didn't mean to hurt you." He whispered and touched Annabeths lip, which she noticed was bleeding from his teeth. "I-its fine." Those eyes unnerved her, as if they were staring straight into her. Seeing everything. "Annabeth, what's in Kretis?" He asked, finally managing to catch his breath. Moments passed and she finally spoke. "Step one."