Chapter Twenty Five

The rock of the ship was soothing. The most soothing thing Annabeth had ever felt. It was the rocking of the ship that lulled her to sleep at nights. But now, the rocking was making her nervous. All she could hear from below deck was the hushed voices of men and groaning. She had given up her captains quarters to the men while they tried to tend to percy. This left annabeth in the crews deck. The hammocks rocked back in forth in sync with the docked boat.

Each groan or cry of pain from percy sent terror through Annabeth. She stayed curled up on the floor for hours. The light of the sun soon died and the men began filling the hammocks. Each looked tired and worried. Jason carefully laid a hand on her back "captain? Can i take a look at your injuries?" He asked gently. This entire time she didn't realize her head was still bleeding. Dazed, Annabeth let Jason lead her to the upper deck. Jason was the man to go to with an injury on the ship and Annabeth just hopes he helped percy.

As Jason began wrapping a bandage around the gash on her head, he cleared his throat and spoke, "while I was working on percy he kept mumbling the name wise girl," Jason kept his eyes trained on Annabeth. She turned red. "Ah so you're wise girl. I thought so Captain." He tried to hide his smirk, but failed. Annabeth was no longer listening, all she thought about was percy covering herself when that arrow came at her. The way his eyes gazed into hers before he collapsed. His eyes told her, he would do anything for her.

The setting sun use to bring Annabeth warmth, watching the sky melt into rich reds, yellows and pinks, but now it only brought her sorrow. It was two days later and percy still had not awaken. She had only been allowed to look in and saw his entire chest was bandaged, like an Egyptian mummy. His face pale and beaded with sweat. Jason informed the crew he needed rest and should be left alone. Alone. That's what Annabeth felt. She thought killing her father would leave her happy, but she only felt hollow. What if Percy didn't make it? What if she never got a chance to tell the man with the sea green eyes that she loves him? A lone tear dripped down her pale cheek and fell from the mast, where she was sitting high and dangling her feet, to the deck. The tear fell into the sea causing a ripple.

Crying. Annabeth was actually crying for Percy. Something she had never done before. It was that moment she knew, she did love him. The ship was docked outside the cave but they had agreed on staying in Kretis...incase Percy took a turn for the worse. Annabeth didn't know how long she had been up here staring off at the raging sea, her cheeks getting wetter and wetter with each trickling tear. This was all her fault, she shouldn't have involved her crew in her own mission like she did and now Percy was paying for it. She covers her face, her shoulders shaking slightly through her silk shirt.

"Annabeth Chase, captain of the feared Argo ll is not crying for me, I know it." A coy voice teased. Annabeth stopped and looked up. Sure enough, Percy was standing there, leaning against the mast. His shirt was loose and she could see the bandages through it but his eyes were alive as the sea below them. For a moment Annabeth was speechless. He was here. Percy took a careful step to her. Annabeth could only watch. His hand came down and brushed her tears away with a gentleness that only Perseus Jackson possessed.

"Now, I don't know much about women, other than some are more beautiful than others," He slowly drew her to her feet. His dancing eyes never leaving hers. His voice washed over Annabeth making her heart flutter. "And I know that they only cry if they are hurt or worried about someone they love. Why are you crying captain?" His voice was smooth and gentle as he spoke to her. Annabeth looked up into his eyes as his hand softly cups her cheek. Instantly she leans her face into his palm, which was soft and rough in places from work. Something finally felt right. "The second one." She whispered back watching the setting sun cast golden light across his beautiful features.

A smile stretched across Percy's face. That smile that made Annabeth weak at the knees and melt from the inside out. He brought his mouth down upon hers in a gentle but deep kiss. That's when Annabeth knew. She was hopelessly in love with this man. This pirate. Percy. Her fingers trace up his arm and into his soft hair as they molded together in a kiss. Percy tasted of the sea. It was heaven on earth. A sudden sound broke them from their kissing. Cheering. The crew members were below with lanterns and bottles of rum cheering up at them. Annabeth was too happy to be embarrassed as Percy leaned in for another kiss. "Aye show her who's captain Percy!" It was Leo, Percy and Annabeth laughed against each other's mouths. The crew went on cheering and drinking, as Percy and Annabeth went at it again, while they began singing "Yo ho! A pirates life for me!" Annabeth finally felt safe and whole in Percy's arms with his lips caressing hers, as the ship set sail, sailing away to a future of finally being together.