Welcome Home Party

I left the kitchen, heading upstairs to my room still feeling confused. I'd only been home for an hour and my entire life felt like it had been flipped upside down. I flicked my bedroom light on, sighing in relief at the familiarity. It was the only bedroom on the top floor so the top floor was basically all mine. The bathroom was just next door. I flopped onto my bed, not even bothering shutting the door. I stared up at the ceiling where all my photos were, small Polaroids were plastered in lines above me and behind me. To my right was large window with a small sofa in the corner. To my left was a white vanity set where I did my makeup next to a closet. On the other side of the door was a small white desk where I did my homework. I buried my face into the grey sheets of my queen sized bed. "Jessi?" Tisha's voice echoed into my room. "What?" I asked rolling onto my back, propping myself up on my shoulders. "We are having somewhat of a welcome home party for you, so get ready. People are arriving at eight, that's only an hour away." she spoke quickly and hurried away before a I could reply. "Ugh!" I sighed loudly falling back onto my bed again. 

     I emerged from my bedroom around nine, following the music downstairs. I had taken a shower so my hair was a soft curly mess around my shoulders, my bangs hanging just above my eyelashes. I had chosen to wear a pair of jean shorts with an oversize tan sweater that fell off my right shoulder and a pair of scrunched up large tan socks. I had made my eyelashes pop around my light brown eyes and smeared a clear gloss along my lips. While I wasn't exactly excited to mingle with a bunch of people I didn't know I was okay with the idea of getting drunk. I pushed past the already filled house to the kitchen, grabbing two Mike's Hard Lemonade's. I shut the door, turning around only to find Jamie. "Hey." his voice hit me like silk sheets would. "Hi." I gasped a little and he smirked. "Here, take a shot with me, I can't find your sister." he handed me a coffee mug. "Really?" I smirked at him and he chuckled a little, nodding at me. "Fine." I took the black mug from him, clanking it against his before pouring it down my throat. I scrunched my face at him and he laughed loudly. "How many have you already had?" I laughed, the alcohol already hitting me. I hadn't really eaten anything besides almonds on the plane. "Just the mug from earlier. Here." he grabbed one of the beers from my arm, twisting the top open and handing it to me. "Drink." he glared at me, keeping his eyes glued to me until I took a quick swig. "Good." he said and I laughed under the fizz of alcohol. The music was blasting loud from outside, Chase Rice's version of Ride echoing into the house and causing everyone to scream with excitement and drunkenness. 

     "Come on." Jamie took my forearm and led me out to the backyard where people were hovering around the bonfire. "I love this song." I smiled taking another long gulp from my beer. "Sit." Jamie's voice was demanding, silky smooth as it entered my ears. We sat down in a couple of lawn chairs around the fire. "So you're married to my sister huh?" the alcohol was speaking for me as I finished my drink. Jamie chuckled at me, moving his chair a little closer to mine. "Yes. I guess I am." his face was serious now. I stared into his dark blue eyes. He looked so inviting against the fire light. "What?" he asked me and I quickly looked away from him. I focused on the drunk people around us, dancing and laughing loudly. Where was Tisha? "So Tisha tells me you just broke up with your boyfriend?" Jamie asked. I looked over at him, suddenly there was a beer in his hand. I looked down at the Mike's Hard between my legs, popping it open and taking a sip before answering, "HE broke up with me a few weeks ago." "Really? Why would anyone break up with a girl like you?" his words wiggled past my already numb brain and straight to my heart. I stared at him and he smirked back, taking another sip of beer. 

     "I guess it was going to happen eventually." I pulled my eyes away from him, taking yet another sip of beer. " Why?" Jamie asked, pulling my attention back to him. My heart fluttered under his gaze. I forced myself to look away from him and into the fire. "We were boring. I loved him, but not the way you should love the person you want to spend the rest of your life with." I spoke expecting him to ask me what that meant. No one ever understood what I meant when I said that. But he was silent for a long time, my ears filling with the laughter around us. "I can understand that." he finally said, my neck snapping towards him. His eyes bore into mine, exploring the depths of my mind for a second. I could feel my skin tingling, erupting under his gaze yet again. "Shots!?" a young girl with long black hair pulled into a pony tail stepped in front of us. "One for the both of us." Jamie spoke still looking at me as the girl handed us both a shot glass. She giggled and skipped away, approaching another group of people. "Cheers." Jamie held his glass up to me, a smirk still on his face. "Cheers." I smirked back and quickly swallowed the vodka. It stung the back of my throat, a giggle vibrating past my lips. Jamie laughed next to me. "Come dance with me." he said instead of asking. I watched as he stood up, still wearing the same thing as earlier with his bare feet. He stood over me, holding his large hand out to me. I giggled and chugged the last of my beer, placing my hand in his. An electric shock tingled my fingers and palm as he pulled me out of my chair. We stood, staring into each other's eyes for a moment only breaking our trance due to another giggle escaping my lips.

     Jamie smiled and gripped my hand tightly, pulling me away from the fire and people to a darker corner of the yard. "Here." he took the empty bottle from my hand and sat it in the grass next to us, moving behind me he placed his hands on my hips. My breath caught under his touch, goosebumps tingling my hips as he moved them from side to side with his. The very tips of his fingers slipping past my jeans, pressing into my hips slightly forcing me to gasp. I could hear him moan deeply behind me, the back of my hair standing on end as my eyes fell close, taking him in. He smelt clean and of vodka. "There you are baby!" Tisha's voice forced my eyes open, Jamie's hands falling from my hips. "Hey." he spoke normally, stepping away from me and towards her. My heart fell, my conscious yelling at me. What was I doing? Just dancing right? That's it, we were just dancing. "I'm so happy to see the two of you together!" Tisha exclaimed as she wrapped her arms around Jamie's neck. He glanced at me before pulling her close. "Okay, well I'm just gonna mingle a little then." I smiled at the two of them, leaving them to their hug and heading into the house. I stopped in the kitchen, leaning against the counter. It was just the alcohol taking over that was making me feel so drawn to Jamie, and that exaggerated his touch on my skin I told myself. I took a deep breath before heading back upstairs to my room.