Chapter 27:

MUSIC: Heaven Knows - The Pretty Reckless

Amelia above^

/ / / /

Amelia's P.O.V:

/ / / /

I groaned when I woke up to my alarm screeching at me in a high-pitched squeal. I turned it off and let myself wake-up before I started to get ready for school. After about half an hour, I was completely ready. My bag was packed, my hair was up, my make-up done and I had my school uniform on. I was still stuck with a skirt since skinny jeans were not allowed. I winked at myself in my mirror and muttered a 'looking good' before I headed down-stairs. I had to kid myself into thinking that I would hold myself together today.

I entered the kitchen but stopped dead in my tracks when I spotted my Dad and Lilly snogging like there was no tomorrow. I was horrified. Surely they were too old and miserable for that kind of exercise? I went to back-away but as I did so I stepped on a creaky floorboard and they broke apart.

"Please, stay for breakfast." My Dad offered. I leant my arm on the door frame and looked at them snottily.

"I'm not hungry." I said. The truth was that I was hungry. Before I caught them doing that. I left afterwards and checked the time on my phone. It was way to early to get a lift to school but just enough time for me to walk. I called Jimmy to notify him that I didn't need a lift and started on my walk. I put my earphones in and blasted my music to try and rid the thoughts of her.

I was disgusted that my Dad forgot once again. That he was too busy with her. With his new woman.

 The woman that was a minor factor in ruining my life. Whenever I thought of her, it led to thoughts of my Mum, and how if she hadn't of entered the picture, she could have still been here. The thing was, I tried to hate Lilly for what she'd done but that was the issue. She hadn't exactly done anything. But she was part of the maybe. Maybe if Lilly hadn't of met my Dad, my parents wouldn't of broken up, and everything that happened after that might not have happened.

Maybe.

That was the big word. The one that could make or break someone. The indecisive decision of someone, the way fate played with you. The word that left you winded to a mystery that you'd never find the answer to.

Maybe.

I crossed one of the roads to my school. I didn't bother looking, and due to the fact that I couldn't hear anything other than my music, I didn't hear the incessant beeping coming from a car that was hurtling towards me. I noticed it as it came closer and I started to run, but at the speed they were travelling I would have been lucky to make it.

I hit the pavement on the other side of the road just as the car came to a standstill. I sat on the floor, breathing heavily. My earphones had fallen out and were laying on the floor next to me. I was shaking in a mixture of fear and adrenaline. I heard a car door slam shut and heavy footsteps approached me. I didn't look at them. They cleared their throat.

"What the fu- Right. You know what?" I looked up to see a man, not much older than me. He ran his hands down his face. "What you did was stupid and-" He stopped suddenly when he saw my face. I furrowed my eyebrows. He seemed familiar but I couldn't place why. "-and  I nearly killed you and for that I'm sorry but it wasn't my fault. You shouldn't have had your earphones in. You're lucky I wasn't speeding because I would have hit you. But... Are, are you okay?" He asked me shakily and held out a hand. I ignored it.

"I'm fine. You can go." I said coldly and got up myself. I grabbed my earphones and placed them back into my ears. I was about to walk off when his hand roughly grabbed mine and swung me around to face him. He took my earphones out pf my ears and shoved them at me.

"Are you stupid?"

"Nope. What do you want?"

"Are you actually crazy? You nearly just got killed because of these and then you go to put them back in. And without even apologsing for making me think I was about to kill an innocent teenage girl. Then you expect me to just leave?" He asked frantically. I swallowed. He seemed so familiar but I had no clue why. I felt like I had spoken to him before.

"Why does it matter to you? Anyone else would just leave." I said quietly. I avoided eye contact with him.

"Why won't you look at me?"

"Because you seem so familiar but I have no idea why and it's bugging me!" I exclaimed. His hand left my arm and he stared at me for a few seconds, as if he was contemplating saying something but chose to refrain.

"I- Never mind. Just be careful next time." He said and I nodded. I turned away from him and continued my walk to school.

This time though, I put my earphones in my bag.