Chapter 52 (The End?)

---------- Chapter 52 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dash across the room, my mind unable to work fast enough. The blade falls, but the Carter and Haden stand so close that I can’t tell what happens.

Before I make it to them, both Carter and Haden slump to the floor. In the next instant I’m kneeling down by Haden.

               “Hay,” I whisper. His face is set in shock, all the colour draining once again.

His hand is all bloody from the wound he sustained earlier, so as he runs his hand over his face, his face gets all bloody.

I run my hand across his chest, satisfying myself that he hasn’t been hurt. It takes me a moment to realise that if Haden isn’t hurt...then...Carter just sacrificed himself.

Carter lies on the ground, Haden cradles his head on his lap. “Why?” I whisper, looking at Carter whose eyes are fluttering close.

He strains himself to look at me. It takes a while, but he finally manages to focus on me. His lips twitch slightly and I understand that he’s trying to smile. “For...you,” he whispers before his eyes flutter close.

In spite of myself, I grab onto Carter’s hand, squeezing it. Sure I’m mad at him...but I never wanted this! And he did it...for me? He must have known I’d die without Haden. So he really did love me.

               “Haden!” Alex calls, shaking Haden out of his reverie.

Haden gently lays Carter’s head on the floor before getting up unsteadily. Callum still lies on the floor, a sort of smile on his face.

               “You...win,” he whispers, stammering. His voice has grown weak and his colour has drained. Is it almost over? “One...more...surprise,” he breathes, panting from the effort of talking.

He makes a tiny motion with his fingers and a burning heat settles in the pit of my stomach. The heat intensifies till I feel like I’m being burned from the inside out.

               “Haden!” I shriek beside myself with pain.

I can’t see a thing. Everything appears white to me! I can’t see the boys, or the room or anything...what’s going on.

I hear a muffled scuffle. Haden’s muffled voice saying something to me is the last thing I hear before everything disappears around me.

***

(Haden’s POV)

               “Haden!” Jessy’s tortured shriek sends me whirling around. She’s still on the floor, by Carter. She’s clutching at herself with so much force that she’s actually bleeding from her nails tearing into her skin.

I can see her whither...but I don’t see anything wrong. It’s as if everything is in her head.

I kneel down to pull her into my embrace, but by that time, she’s already lost consciousness.

               “What happened?” Alex asks, limping towards the window.

Wait a second...where’s Matt?

The next thing I know, a loud explosion sounds, and I feel myself thrown back into the wall, my head smashing on impact.

***

               “Haden?”

An explosion...blinding pain...Jessica...what happened?!