Chapter 45

A/N: Happy Sweet Sixteen @LatifahAndHaleema! Hope you have an amazing day! :))

---------- Chapter 45 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tiptoe into Haden’s room all the while grinning. He’s going to be so surprised!

I put my present on the bed and step back to watch the fun. Tyler, the little puppy that I had just bought walks uncertainly towards Haden, his little tail waggling happily. Aww, Tyler likes Haden!

Tyler begins licking Haden’s face and Haden groans a little, shifting in his sleep. Obviously not one to give up, Tyler climbs over Haden and begins licking his face again. This time though, he goes for Haden’s lips.

I watch in amusement as Haden’s lips turn up a little in a small smile. His eyes are still closed tightly, but he’s waking up.

               “Hey baby,” he whispers while Tyler continues licking him. I stifle a laugh as I watch this once in a lifetime happening. “I didn’t take you for a licker.”

               “Happy Birthday Haden,” I whisper, my voice breaking a little as I try not to burst out in a fit of giggles.

“I wouldn’t mind being woken up like that every morning,” he murmurs sweetly, stretching a little. Haden smiles and sits up groggily. That’s when he opens his eyes and looks around his bed in confusion. I suppose he expected me to be there. Understandable.

Tyler jumps onto his lap then making Haden jump up in shock. “What the hell?!” he shouts, climbing out of his bed. He’s only got his boxer shorts on and he looks yummy. So yummy that I kind of forgot that Haden expected an answer.

               “Baby, why’s there a rat on my bed?” Haden asks, his voice tensed.

               “It isn’t a rat! That’s Tyler! He’s your puppy,” I coo, scooping Tyler out of the bed.

Haden stares at me quizzically while he runs his hand through his messy hair. “I don’t get it. It’s my birthday,” he mumbles slowly. Heh! I love this Haden, so confused and adorable.

               “That’s right,” I giggle, getting onto my tip toes so I can kiss him quickly. Haden shrinks back before I can though. I stare at him in shock. Did I do something wrong?

               “Dog slobber,” he explains disgustedly as he wipes his face on his arms and the bed sheet and basically anything within reach.

               “You don’t like him? I ask after a couple of awkward moments of silence.

               “Well...it’s not that I don’t like him in specific. I’m sure he’s a perfectly acceptable rat-looking excuse for a dog...but I really don’t like animals Jess,” he mutters, still looking a little disgusted.

               “But he’s adorable!” I argue, holding Tyler out so Haden could see the full extent of his cuteness.

               “Yeah, adorable,” Haden agrees half-heartedly, flopping back onto his bed, closing his eyes.

I pout a little as I sit on the edge of his bed. I wanted to get him something special. Haden grabs me around the waist and pull me down onto the bed beside him. He straddles me and strokes my face gently.

               “I’m sorry. I just wanted to get you something different,” I mumble sadly.

               “Don’t be sorry. It’s really thoughtful of you Jess,” he whispers leaning in to kiss me before he suddenly releases a yelp of pain. He pulls away from me immediately toppling off the bed. I jump up in confusion wondering what the hell he was doing.