Chapter 12

---------- Chapter 12 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Matt’s POV)

               “It’s 10 o’clock,” I murmur softly.

               “I am aware of the time, thank you very much,” Alex responds curtly.

               “Haden set off at 6,” I continue, ignoring Alex, the huge grump.

               “I am also aware of that. Would you like to tell me my middle name as well? Perhaps then we can carry on with you telling me things I already know,” Alex grumbles loudly from the couch.

               “It only takes an hour, to and fro, for Haden to reach that girls dwelling. That means he’s been there three hours already!” I huff, resuming my pacing.

               “Dude, seriously? You’ve been freaking out since 7!” Alex hisses, straining his neck to watch the football game.

               “And you haven’t even spared him a thought!” I retort.

               “God! Haden’s an adult! I’m sure he can handle himself,” Alex murmurs, tossing a pillow at me. “For God’s sake, sit down, will you?! If I have to miss another goal because you’re such a worry wart, I won’t forgive you!” Alex threatens seriously.

               “Haden’s never taken so long before!” I mutter, tossing the pillow back at Alex.

               “You’re just not going to shut up, are you?” Alex asks in frustration, throwing his hands in the air.

               “No! And you shouldn’t either! We’re supposed to make sure he’s okay, remember?! What if it was one of us out there, huh? What do you think Haden would do?” I demand, exasperated. Doesn’t Alex get it? How can he not be worried?!

               “What Haden would want us to do? I’ll tell you! First, he would want you to sit down and not wear out his carpet. Next, he would fix us all drinks. He would then walk over to you, slap you and make sure you calm down. After that he would propose we watch the football game in silence!” Alex spits bitterly, turning up the volume.

               “You idiot! He’d be out of that door so fast!” I retort.

               “God damn it! God damn you! Go grab your coat,” Alex instructs, switching off the television and marching down the hallway.

               “Grab my coat? Why?” I ask, hurrying to keep up with him.

Alex returns moments later, dangling his car keys in my face. “We’re going to go to that chick’s house. I’m going to show you that everything is fine. We’ll probably even see Haden on the way back,” Alex murmurs calmly, grabbing my arm and steering me towards the garage.

Alex and I climb into the black Mercedes, and Alex zaps the garage door, only to reveal a light blue Honda pulling up at our driveway.

               “God! What now?!” Alex mumbles under his breath, getting out of the car.

The both of us walk down the driveway to the battered little Honda. Reid steps out, his face taut with worry.

               “Great, you’re exactly what we need right now,” Alex spits.

               “Gee, I’m sorry to inconvenience you, but I’m here to report on Jess, like you guys told me to,” Reid murmurs calmly, shifting his weight slightly.

               “Can it wait? We’re about to go get Haden. Anyway, I’m sure Haden would want to hear the report as well,” I suggest, trying to break the tension between Alex and Reid.

               “Oh yeah, of course it can wait. It’s not like I would have driven all the way to your haunted mansion because it was important right?” Reid answers sarcastically.

               “You people are going to be the death of me!” Alex shouts, stomping back into the house.

I grin apologetically at Reid and gesture for him to enter the house as well. The two of us walk back down the dark driveway and into the house.

Alex has made himself comfortable on the couch already, his game back on, and louder than ever.

               “Can I get you a drink, Reid?” I offer, hanging my coat up once again.

               “No, I’m good, thanks,” he mumbles, sitting down. He seems distressed, twiddling his fingers distractedly.

               “You alright, man?” I try again.

He glances up at me for a moment before infinitesimally shaking his head. “Fist off, I hate spying on her for you guys,” Reid begins.

               “Tough luck then,” Alex spits, eyes still glued on the television.

               “The thing is, I think you boys made a huge mistake! What the hell were you thinking sending her to that horrible place?! She’s miserable! And-” Reid starts, before shaking his head some more.

               “And what, Reid?” I ask after a moment of silence.

               “And I think she’s being hurt. She’s covered with bruises...her emotions are all over the place, and she’s...and the only reason she’s subjecting herself to that crap is because you guys won’t take her back!” Reid bellows, losing all his calm in one sweep.

               “Wait! What? She’s hurt?! Why didn’t you say that in the first place?!” Alex cries in agitation, already on his feet, hurtling down the corridor to get his keys again.

               “Wait! Alex! Stop! Think about it! What would we do? Just go there and demand to take her back? We need to think this through,” I urge, standing in Alex’s way.

               “We’ll figure it out on the way,” Alex hisses, pushing past me.

His hand is already on the door when he comes to an abrupt halt. I strain my senses and I pause as well. There’s someone at the front door. In a moment, I’m by his side, both of us trying to get a read on our unexpected visitor.

Alex nods his head jerkily, and I get the message. I jerk the front door open only to reveal a figure hunched over the foot mat.

The messy black hair and distinctive leather jacket is a dead giveaway; it’s Haden!

               “Haden?!” Alex whispers in shock, crouching down to examine Haden.

He cups Haden’s jaw gently and turns his face up towards us gently. Haden’s face is bruised up, his nose is bloody and definitely broken. His grey eyes are bleary and he seems disoriented.

Working together, Alex and I lift Haden into the house and lay him gently on the couch. Within minutes, I have Emily and Anderson woken up. Emily is fussing over Haden’s wounds and Anderson makes a round outside, making sure there’s no other surprise there.

               “Haden, what happened,” I ask quietly once Emily has finished clearing up his face. Haden sits up slowly and shakes his head slightly.

               “I don’t know. It happened pretty fast. You were right; I shouldn’t have underestimated the girl. She’s mortal, but there’s definitely something there,” Haden mumbles, pinching the bridge of his nose and wincing.

Alex looks over at me, his face pale, guilt written on his forehead. We should have gone with Haden! I knew we should have!

               “How did you get so messed up man? Why didn’t you just apparate here?” Alex asks, kneeling by Haden’s side.

               “I was stupid,” Haden mumbles back bleakly, shaking his head in annoyance.