Chapter 24

----------- Chapter 24 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

               “We should get going,” Carter murmurs, nuzzling me. We’re on the couch in the living room, wrapped around each other.

               “Must we? Now?” I moan, kissing him softly.

               “I thought you wanted to go to Persephone?” he shoots back, his resolve gone.

               “I did. But this is so much more fun,” I tease, sitting on his lap.

               “Couldn’t have said it better myself!” he agrees, stroking my thigh.

               “Ehem, Jess?” Emily calls from the kitchen.

I jump off Carter’s lap and quickly walk into the living room. I can feel my cheeks heat up. I completely forgot Carter and I weren’t alone!

               “You got a letter,” Emily explains, her face disapproving.

               “Thanks Em. And erm...do you mind keeping this between us?” I beg softly.

               “Miss Aubry,” Emily huffs. She wouldn’t call me by my last name unless she’s really mad. Oh boy! I’m in trouble! “This is Haden’s house. You know how he feels about that boy,” Emily spits.

               “I’m sorry Em, but I love him. And I’m going to do what feels right to me, okay?” I murmur, taking the letter from her hands and storming back to the living room.

               “Everything alright?” Carter asks, wrapping his arm around my waist.

               “Yeah, just everyone seems to be unable to keep their noses out of my business,” I mutter crossly.

               “I’m sure it’s because they care about you,” he offers.

               “Yeah, whatever,” I snap, instantly regretting it. “I’m sorry Carter! I shouldn’t snap at you,” I mumble embarrassedly.

               “It’s okay. No blood, no foul,” he murmurs, kissing my cheek. “What’s with the letter? Do I have a rival?” he teases.

I give him a grimace and unseal the letter. Tiny, messy handwriting is all over the page. Whoever wrote this is either very untidy or very agitated.

Jessica Aubry,

I’m very sorry over what happened to your family. I only just found out. I was a very close friend of your mothers.

Perhaps we could meet up? Your mother left a few photos and letters in my possession. I think she would have wanted you to have them.

If it’s convenient for you, we could meet up tonight at Finnigan’s? I’ll be the lady in the red sweater.

Yours sincerely,

Moira Gray

P.S: I understand you live with your guardian. You should inform him that you will be meeting me tonight, I wouldn’t want him to worry. Perhaps you could leave this letter somewhere he definitely wouldn’t miss? At least that way he won’t worry.

I finish reading the letter and start biting my lip.

               “What’s wrong?” Carter asks, gently taking the letter out of my hands and putting it on the side table.