Chapter 4

---------- Chapter 4 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

               “-is not funny, Jessica!” Haden shouts, pacing back and forth. Matt and Alex sit on either side of me, trying their hardest to hold their laughter in. “Oh! And you two! Encouraging her?! How old are you?!” Haden continues, now rounding on his mates.

He’s been at this for the past half an hour. First he made Alex, Matt and I carry the mattress back up. Then he went and woke Andy up to get him to wake the housekeeper, Amanda, up. So, the guys and I watched guiltily as Amanda had to clean the mattress and change the bed sheet and everything. The moment she finished, Haden marched the three of us back down to the living room, and the lecture began.

               “Seriously, Haden, it was a joke! Lighten up!” I mumble, yawning.

               “Joke?! You think it was funny having to wake Anderson and Amanda up to clean my mattress? You think it’s funny ruining someone’s mattress?” Haden mutters coldly.

What if Carter was right? What if Haden is hiding something from you? The little voice in my head is on red alert.

He asked if I knew the secrets that Haden was keeping from me. As in secrets. Like plural. As in more than one secret!

Haden’s your guardian though, you should trust him! The nice little voice in my head argues. Heck, if this was a cartoon, this little voice would belong to a mini-me with an angel’s halo, wings and the whole white wardrobe.

               “-grow up! You’re just so blur all the time-” Haden continues, but I’ve stopped paying attention a long time ago.

You could always just ask Haden if there’s anything he’d like to tell you, you know? Wouldn’t that be better than all this needless worry? Angel me has a point.

Oh yeah! He would just open up and tell you everything he’s been hiding just because you ask, right? Not so angel me retorts. Another good point!

               “Are you even listening to me?” Haden demands, kneeling in front of me.

               “Umm, yes!” I answer quickly, shooting him my most dazzling smile.

               “Alright, so what did I say?” he asks, hands on hips.

Damn it! Little voices in my head! I could use some help!

...

And silence! Go figure! The one moment I actually do need them, they disappear!

               “Umm, you’re really disappointed in me. It was such a childish joke. It wasn’t even funny?” I try, smiling innocently.

Haden assesses me for a few moments before kneeling in front of me again. “Jess, I’m not lecturing you because I’m angry with you, you know that, right?” he asks, surprising me.

               “Err, yeah, sure,” I answer him uncertainly.

               “I mean it. I’m just telling you. Because I care,” he continues. Oh boy! He just used the ‘because I care’ line. That is so cheesy!

               “I know you do, Haden. I understand,” I comfort him. This is so epic! Haden lectures me, and then I have to comfort him? These are things you just can’t make up!

               “Good! I don’t want this to spoil our relationship. I get that what I did in school today was completely over the top, and I’m really, really sorry. I swear, if I could go back in time and redo things, I would. But I can’t! So how about you let me beat up anyone who gives you a hard time in school, alright?” Haden suggests, his eyes earnest.