Chapter 14

---------- Chapter 14 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was expecting a shout, maybe some cursing, but instead I got a backhanded slap that whipped my face to the side. My cheek burned and it took all my effort not to break down and start sobbing at the pain.

               “Watch your tongue,” Mr Daniels hisses. He lets go of my hair and I sink down on to the floor, utterly miserable. Why didn’t I run off with Reid?!

Mr Daniels walks out of the room, closing the door behind him. And only once I know he won’t be able to hear me do I allow myself to sob. My face feels like it’s on fire. I brush my hand gingerly across my cheek. I notice some blood on my hand. I’m bleeding!

But no, that’s good! I mean, I could go to the school guidance councillor tomorrow. I’m sure she wouldn’t allow me to return to this hell hole.

I push myself back onto my feet. My head is spinning, but I manage to make my way over to the shared bathroom down the corridor from my room. I wash my burning face with the ice cold water, and fresh tears come to my eyes at the sting.

               “You only got what you deserved,” James murmurs, standing behind me.

I stare at his reflection in the mirror, not daring to face him. His face is red from the punch, but he seems fine otherwise.

               “Stop crying! Tears won’t help,” he mutters crossly, his eyes cold.

               “Just leave me alone!” I screech, pushing past him to get back to my room.

He grabs my hand and turns me around to face him.

               “You’re so pretty when you’re scared,” he murmurs, stroking my cheek gently with his hands.

               “Let go of me, you pervert!” I shout, slamming my fist into his chest.

               “What’s going on here?” Mr Daniels demands, making both James and I jump. “Let go of the girl, James,” he barks.

James immediately releases me and walks away, scowling deeply. I take the opportunity to make an escape to my room and slam the door closed behind me.

I pull out my cell phone and dial the Emily’s number. Why didn’t I think of this sooner?!

               “Emily?” I sob into the phone the moment she picks up.

               “Jessy? Are you okay? What happened?” Emily demands, her voice high with worry.

               “Emily, I need to talk to one of the boys, please,” my voice breaks and I nearly choke on my own sobs.

               “The boys aren’t around sweetie, what’s going on?” she tries again.

               “Can you call one of them? Ask them to call me. Please, I’m scared,” I whisper.

My door flies open and James stands before me, his eyes disbelieving. He wrenches the phone out of my fingers and checks who I’m calling.

               “Dad!” he hollers, his face taut with apprehension.

               “What?” Mr Daniels asks, walking into the room, his eyes searching.

               “She was calling someone,” he explains.

               “Who did you call, Jessica?” Mr Daniels asks, kneeling in front of me.