Chapter 20

---------- Chapter 20 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                   "Are you alright, miss?" asks a random nurse who's standing in the lift with me. 

I nod my head uncertainly. Am I alright? I may have seen Carter for the last time. But at least I get to stay with the guys. That's a consolation, right?

The elevator door slides open and I walk down the long, austere corridor, shuddering slightly. Hospitals give me the creeps! It's filled with so much pain, suffering and sadness!

At the end of the corridor, a lone nurse sits behind a large desk, eyes glued on the computer screen. 

                   "Excuse me?" I murmur softly, not wanting to distract her in case she's doing something important. 

                   "Yes?"

                   "I was wondering if you could tell me where I might find Haden?" I ask unsurely. 

                   "I'm going to need more than that, dear" she answers kindly. 

                   "Sorry!" I mutter embarrassedly. "His name is Haden Carter"

                   "Just a second, please," she murmurs, typing something on her keyboard. "He's in room 502. But he isn't awake, dearie"

                   "Can I still go in to see him?" I ask uncertainly. 

                   “Of course you can!” she enthuses leading me down the hallway to room 502. “Here you go. He’ll be fine, just so you know,” she comforts, patting my shoulder affectionately.

I nod my head and quietly push the door open. The light in the room is off and it’s pretty cold in here! Haden’s lying on the bed, with someone sitting by his side. I creep into the room, and suddenly the little lamp on the side table turns on, bathing the room in a soft, golden glow.

                   “Jessy!” Matt exclaims, relief on his face.

                   “Hey,” I murmur, my eyes glued onto Haden’s face, hoping he’ll open his eyes. “Where’s Alex?” I ask as an afterthought.

                   “He’s out looking for you! He was freaked out about that call, Jessy! What was going on?” Matt demands, and not quietly!

                   “Shh! You’ll wake Haden up!” I grumble, walking back out of the room.

I quickly dial in Alex’s number and wait impatiently for him to pick up.

                   “Jessica!” he nearly shouts, relief in his voice.

                   “That’s my name. Don’t wear it out,” I murmur, trying to break the tension.

                   “Where are you?!” he demands, I can hear the car in the background revving.