Sneak peek

A/N: Okay guys, I wanted to do something a little different. I’m giving you a sneak peek of Chapter 23. First three comments get to decide what happens next! J

----------- Chapter 23 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stuff everything I can into my suitcase, eternally grateful I had never gotten down to fully unpack everything. I zip my suitcase closed and look around my empty room. It’s exactly the way it was when we moved in.

This isn’t a time to walk down memory lane, I remind myself, internally kicking myself.

               “Jess?” Alex hollers up the stairs, much too loud.

I run down the staircase only to find Alex waiting for me, his face relieved. I push past him and head to the living room. Haden’s sitting up in the sofa, looking weak, but at least he’s conscious!

               “Haden!” I squeal in delight, having to remind myself not to jump at him.

               “Hey. You did good, kid,” he murmurs softly.

               “Anyway, we’re not leaving Jess,” Alex announces, coming up behind me.

               “What do you mean?” I demand.

               “Haden’s wounds aren’t healing. It would be dumb to move him. Any other state we go to, things are going to be the same. So Alex and I have decided that what Haden needs is medical attention from the land of enmortals,” Matt explains.

               “I don’t think it’s a good idea. But it seems like I have no say at all,” Haden grumbles, his voice soft and strained.

               “Land of enmortals?” They have to be kidding me! Now there’s a land?!