Chapter 40

----------- Chapter 40 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Haden’s POV)

               “You okay?” Alex murmurs when I stop abruptly. My home is merely several feet ahead, yet I can’t convince myself to move. It takes all my strength to resist the urge to turn tail and run. This may possibly be one of the stupidest things I’ve ever done, and I’ve done plenty of stupid things!

               “Dude, you are not running!” Alex threatens softly, grabbing onto my arm.

               “I’m not going to run,” I snap irritably. “I can’t, can I?”

               “Look, they are, first and foremost, your parents. And with the news of a baby on the way, they won’t have the heart to keep this whole exile rubbish up,” he comforts.

               “Let’s hope you’re right,” I mutter, pushing the high, gates aside.

Sure enough, the moment my hand touches the cold metal, sentinels are already surrounding me.

               “You aren’t allowed here, Haden,” James whispers, his tone already a threat.

               “And you are going to stop him from doing what he pleases?” Alex asks tauntingly.

Alex single-handedly trained all of the sentinels. Naturally they respect him greatly. If nothing more, I know my father was rather upset the day I was sent away because he would be losing Alex, his general at arms, and Matt, his councillor. If he was upset, it would be because of that. He has no need for me. I’m a mere reaper, his successor, sure...but why would one need a successor when you have no intention of stepping down?

               “Alex...step aside. Our orders are only to prevent Haden from entering. You may enter as you please, sir,” James murmurs reverentially.

               “No such thing! Where are your loyalties James? We’re sworn to protect this family, and yet you dare threaten the prince?” Alex spits.

               “Sir, my loyalties are exactly where they should be. So long as the king sits at the mantle, his bidding is supreme,” James informs us coldly.

               “Look, I harbour no ill feelings towards any of you. At this point, all of you know me. You know I wouldn’t have returned if it wasn’t important. Just allow me to seek council with my parents. Is that too much to ask for?” I plead softly.

               “My liege, it would be my honour to escort you, but my orders are clear, you are not to be allowed in,” James murmurs, his tone taking on a slightly faltering tone this time.

               “James, I will be meeting with my parents, whether or not you give me leave. The only part of this equation that proves some uncertainty is whether you are going to stand in my way or not,” I threaten simply. I don’t want to harm a single hair on any one of their heads. But if they force my hand, I’d have no choice.

               “My liege! Please,” James begs.

I understand his trouble. He wants to let me in, but he can’t...and he’s stuck between duty and loyalty now.

               “I’ll make it easy for you,” I murmur, taking a deep breath. “Father! I seek council, father,” I call loudly.

At this point, my father would have realised I’m here. He’ll be listening.

In the blink of an eye, the front door flies open and my father stands mere inches away from me. His expression is a cross between curiosity and rage.