Chapter 34

---------- Chapter 34 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

               “Good luck,” Matt and Alex chorus as I walk up the stairs to Haden’s room. I knock tentatively, but he doesn’t answer, so I gently push the door open and tiptoe into the room.

Haden’s lying down on his bed, his shoes still on, staring up at the ceiling. He isn’t asleep but continues to pretend he doesn’t know I’m around.

               “Hey?” I mumble softly. No response. “I brought you something to eat. Emily said you hadn’t had lunch yet,” I ramble as I place the tray of food on his table.

               “I...umm...wanted to apologise. I was going to tell you. I swear...I just had to come to terms with it myself,” I confess softly.

               “Get. Out. Of. My. Room!” Haden snarls.

I take a shaky step towards the door before I steel myself. “I can’t leave yet. I need you to forgive me,” I whisper.

               “Forget it,” he mutters back.

               “I made a mistake Haden! And I’m sorry! I’ll take responsibility for it, I swear! Just please, please forgive me!” I beg, my voice shaking.

               “Are you deaf or just dumb? I said leave. I don’t want to see you nor hear anymore of your lies. I’m done Jess. You can go around and whore yourself off to anyone you want. I’m through bothering,” he snarls.

               “You’re angry and hurt, I understand that. But-”

               “Get the hell out of my room!” Haden shouts, getting off his bed. He’s livid! I’ve never seen him so angry in my life.

I can feel myself shake in fear and I quickly run out of the room and back down the stairs to my room. I crawl into my bed and curl up, trying to keep calm.

               “Hon? I heard shouting. What’s going on?” Emily asks, walking into my room.

               “Haden won’t forgive me. He told me to leave,” I mumble. “Oh, and I’m not pregnant,” I lie.

               “You aren’t?! That’s great sweetheart! How do you know?” Emily asks, immediately cheerful. I guess she doesn’t realise I’m lying through my teeth.

               “Got my period. Guess it was just late,” I lie easily. “I kinda want to be alone,” I admit after a moment.

Emily catches my drift and immediately leaves my room. Why did I lie to her? Because this whole thing with Haden’s made me realise I have to deal with all of this myself. If I really am pregnant, I’ll have an abortion. But I’ll keep it quiet, nobody needs to know.

***

(Day of Formals)

               “Are you ready Jess?” Alex calls up the stairs impatiently.

               “Give me a second Alex!” I call back, putting the finishing touches to my makeup. I take a step away from the mirror to asses my handiwork. My eyes are kinda bloodshot and puffy from the crying and things, but other than that, I look pretty decent.

I hate wearing this dress though. It makes me think of Haden too much. He still hasn’t talked to me. He actually just drove off to the Formals without waiting for me. Thankfully Alex stayed behind in order to take me.