Chapter 49

---------- Chapter 49 -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Haden’s POV)   

“Haden?!” Alex shouts, shaking my shoulders roughly.

I snap out of my reverie and shake my head a couple of times. I’m on my knees outside of my room. What the hell just happened?!

I look up at Alex confusedly, but the moment I do, I realise Matt’s staring down at me, looking concerned.

Matt is alright?

               “Matt...you...you’re okay?” I ask uncertainly.

               “Yes? Are you?” he questions back, looking worried.

               “I am. I don’t know what just happened...but it was like I caught a glimpse into the future or something. I was in the room and Callum was there...but he stabbed you. And you were dying,” I murmur, closing my eyes, trying to figure out what just happened.

I’m not a seer. I can’t look into the future. It’s a talent Enmortals rarely possess. The only known one to posses the sight is my mother. We’re considered too tainted a race to be blessed with such a gift.

               “Who’s Callum?” Alex interrupts my thoughts.

               “Sorry. Um, if what I just thought I experienced is in fact true, then the person we’re after is a Wraith. He goes by the name Callum,” I murmur distractedly.

Now, if it wasn’t a vision of the future, there’s only one other possibility. This Wraith, Callum, somehow has the ability to manipulate what one thinks is reality. That would make sense. How else would he have managed to eliminate Moira so effortlessly or to capture Carter?

               “A wraith. Here? But that can’t be! I was there at the last stand! We won!” Alex muses, pacing.

               “I’m willing to bet he can hear us right now, Alex. I don’t understand it either. But I plan to enlighten myself. Oh! And a warning, the wraith we’re dealing with is obviously a powerful one. I have a feeling his ability is manipulating the things people see,” I warn quietly.

Alex and Matt exchange an uneasy look before nodding tightly. I know how they’re feeling. We’re in pretty deep trouble. How can we differentiate between reality and Callum’s ability?

Steeling myself once again, I throw the door open for what feels like the second time today.

               “Haden!” Emily’s sob reaches me before I even manage to take in my surroundings.

In a second I’m by her side. She’s kneeling protectively by Anderson who’s pale and breathing shallowly.

               “What happened?” I demand.

               “Anderson was trying to protect Jessy...” Emily stammers before breaking off.

               “Is Jessy alright?” I ask while I try to assess the damage to Anderson. I can’t see what’s physically wrong with him. But he’s fading. He’s pale and cold and looks like he’s in unbearable pain.

               “She’s okay. The boy has her,” Emily murmurs, as she squeezes Anderson’s hand. “Everything is going to be okay Andy. Haden’s here now,” she tells him soothingly.

               “Hey old friend,” I murmurs softly. “I need you to close your eyes. I’m not much of a healer, but I can try.”