"So How Did This Happen?" Chapter 10

-Emily's POV-

I stare at Calum, not knowing what to say. He knows now. He saw me.

"I can explain," I say as he stares at my tail. "But please don't get freaked out."

"This is why you didn't want to get in the water." He says.

"Calum? Emily?" I hear Luke's voice call from a good distance away. 

"Oh no," I say. Luke will see me too. I can't loose one of my best friends and my boyfriend.

"Calum, you have to help me," I plead, holding my hand out. "Luke can't know."

"He's you boyfriend." Calum argues.

"He won't want to be if he finds out. Please, Calum."

He bites his lip, looks in the direction of Luke and back at me. Fortunately, he grabs my hands and pulls me out of the water.

"How are you going to hide this?" He asks, gesturing to my tail.

"Stand back." I tell him, getting my heat power ready.

I ball my hand into a fist and hover it over my tail. Steam starts rising and in a few seconds, I have my legs back.

"Woah," Calum says, amazed.

"Calum, where are you?" Luke calls out again.

"Over here," He calls back, walking out from behind the rock and into the open so Luke could see him. I follow behind.

"Emily! Why did you run off like that?" Luke asks when he sees me.

"Um, I-I wanted to cool off. So I went for a run." I smile weakly.

He looks at me suspiciously and at Calum.

"Uh, yeah. I went with her. When you're not in the water it's really hot." He covers for me.

Does that mean he'll keep my secret?

"Okay. But tell me first. I was scared Calum did something to you." Luke laughs. I smile and nod.

We walk back to where our things were set up and I sit back down.

"Don't you think water would help you cool off?" Luke asks, seeing my sit down.

"I'm good now." I tell him.

"Okay," he sighs and walks back to the ocean.

I watch him get into the water with Ashton and Michael. Calum sits beside me again. He opens his mouth like he's gonna speak but doesn't.

"You're probably freaked out right now," I start. "And it's okay if you want to avoid me for the rest of my life. I understand."

"Avoid you?" Calum looks at me like I'm crazy. "This is amazing. One of my best friends is a mermaid!" He exclaims.

"Shhh!" I scold him. "Sorry," he cringes. "So, how did this happen?" He asks.

I smile, knowing he would ask. "It was in Hawaii," I say. I shift in my seat and turn toward him.

I tell him the story of how I became a mermaid. When I went to the waterfall, finding the cave, swimming in it, the magical feeling and now every time I touch water, I grow a tail.

"Wow," Calum says. "That's amazing."

"Yeah. Pretty magical." I smile.

"So when are you going to tell Luke?" He asks.

"Tell Luke?" I raise my eyebrows at him. "I can't. He'll think I'm a freak! I'm half fish for crying out loud!"

"He won't think your a freak. He'll think it's awesome!" Calum tells me. "Plus, he's your boyfriend, Emily. You have to tell him."

I sigh. Calum was right. I have to tell Luke.

I need to tell Luke.

"Tomorrow," I nod. "I'll tell him tomorrow."

"Good." Calum says, getting up from the chair he was in. He joins Luke, Michael and Ashton in the ocean again, leaving me by myself.

"Tomorrow." I repeat.

A/N: What do you think Luke will do when he finds out his girlfriend is a mermaid? Leave your thoughts in the comments!

QOTC: Do you have any pets? AOTC: Yep a cat 🐱

Thanks so much for reading! 💗