"Let's Go Swimming!" Chapter 6

I wake up with the sunlight shining through the huge windows in my room.

Today was Thursday, the day we were suppose to go the beach.

Monday we got here, Tuesday we went out and looked around town to see what was around and Wednesday we went shopping.

But today was the day I've been dreading ever since Monday.

How was I going to explain I can't go swimming because if I get wet I will turn into a fish?

I roll over and grab my phone. It was 8:30 am. Everyone would be getting up soon to eat breakfast then go to the beach.

I get up out of bed and walk into the kitchen. My mom was already there making bacon and eggs.

"Good morning." She greets me

"Morning." I reply, taking a seat at the table in the kitchen.

"You're up early." She observes while scraping eggs out of the pan and onto a plate.

"Yeah," I agree, not knowing what to say.

My mom hands me a plate of food and a glass of milk.

I thank her and unlock my phone while taking a sip of my drink.

Going to my messages, I see I have 3 messages from Michael and 2 from Luke. I check Michael's first.

'Would you come back already?'

'Luke won't shut up about how much he misses you.'

'It's gross.'

They read. Then I check Luke's.

'Michael is being mean to me :('

'He's telling me to shut up :((('

I giggle to myself while taking a bite of my bacon.

"Hey Emily!" Seth happily says as he walks into the kitchen. He grabs a plate of food and sits next to me.

"Hey," I smile back at him, locking my phone.

"We're going to the beach today."

"I know," I say a little less enthusiastic.

"Do you not want to go?" My mom asks, hearing my tone.

"Yeah, I do. I just.. might not swim." I say, looking down at my plate, poking my eggs.

"Why not?" Seth asks.

"I just, don't feel up to it." I lie.

"But Emily," Seth says sadly. I hated seeing him like this. He looked so upset. But I can't get in the water and grow a tail in front of everyone.

"I'm sorry, Seth." I truthfully say.

"It's okay. We're here for three weeks, we can swim another day." He smiles.

"Um, yeah." I fake smile. I didn't think about all the other days. What am I going to do?

---

"Let's go swimming!" Seth beams, running to the ocean as we get to the beach.

"Seth, slow down." My dad laughs, running after him.

I take the cooler and set it down in the sand. My mom puts down the bags and towels beside it.

"Are you sure you don't want to swim?" She asks.

I take a deep breath and nod.

"Okay." She says and walks down to where Seth and my dad are.

I wish I could swim with them. Swimming was my life. But if I turn into a fish in front of everyone, I'll be under a microscope faster than you can say butter my biscuits.

I wouldn't have to do this if I could control it. Is there a way to control it? Should I try to control it?

I stand up and walk over to the side of the beach where there are huge rocks and there wasn't any people.

The rocks blocked off anyone seeing me, so I could try it here.

I take a deep breath and think.

No tail. No tail. No tail.

I step into the water and say it out loud.

"No tail. No tail. No tail."

I felt a tingling sensation in my legs and a few moments later, flopped down on my stomach, splashing into the water.

I sigh.

This was going to be harder than I thought.

A/N: Hi guys! I hope you're enjoying the story so far 😋

If you could tell some of your friends about it, it would mean a lot! I really want more readers ☺️

The next chapter will probably skip the next 2 weeks and go straight to when they get back to Australia. You don't wanna miss it 😏

Thanks for everything ❤️