chapter twenty six*

it breaks my heart to know some of you know people or are close to you have had a miscarriage I wish you all the best

-

It was a long car ride home from the hospital and once Ashton got me home he opened the front door, letting me in first before closing it behind us. He took my hand in his before we walked in to the living room and I saw Louis and Zayn sitting on the floor, instructions in their hands and a spanner too. They were taking apart the changing table.

They looked up when we stepped in and my brows furrowed, looking at Ashton sadly. "I thought you guys said you'd be done by now." Ashton ignored me and asked the two.

"Well this is fucking complicated." Louis huffed. "We can do it now, I know what--"

"Can you leave please?" I asked them and instantly they stood up and left the house, after kissing my cheek. "Did you ask them to do this?" I questioned Ashton.

"No, they offered. I wanted to look after you." He said and I pursed my lips.

I walked over to the changing table to see a box full of baby clothes. "You were throwing them away?" I asked, picking up the cardboard box.

"No," Ashton sighed, "I was going to give them to charity or to the orphanage Michael lived at because they have a nursery there."

I frowned, "I wanted to keep it." I pouted, "Where's Mike?"

"He's staying at Calum's for a few nights." Ashton answered, "Cmon, let's go take a bath and go to b--"

"I don't want to." I sighed, "Can I go see my mum please?" I asked.

Ashton stood up and nodded and he promptly drove us to my mums house. When we arrived I knocked on the front door and she answered with a smile, "Baby." She cooed, hugging me and I ignored the pet name and let her pull us inside the house. It hadn't changed since I'd last been home.

We went to the living room and Ashton sat on the couch, me sitting beside him and he wrapped his arm around my shoulder, pulling me in.

Mum disappeared to the kitchen and came out with cups of tea for us and I thanked her quietly as she sat down. She was watching this old movie, that was in black and white and it seemed to be the traditional Cowboys and Indians. We sat and watched the film and instinctively half was through my hand ended up on my tummy. I hadn't even noticed when Ashton whispered in my ear; "No touching." He said, picking up my hand and entwining our fingers instead.

"Sorry." I mumbled, laying back on Ashton.

We didn't stay for too long, just until the film finished and when I did, I noticed my mug was still full while Ashton's was empty and I sighed quietly.

Mums arms wrapped me up in a hug and she kissed my forehead. "I'm sorry baby, you didn't deserve what happened." I only nodded and kissed her cheek. "Come see me soon, yeah?"

I nodded and Ashton took my hand, taking me to my car. Ashton couldn't bring his car as he had gotten on the first flight here with Jack and Niall. He barely brought any clothes with him because he was in a rush.

We drove home and when we got there it was dark and Ashton mumbled about a shower. "I'll be right back, you go to bed princess." Ash kissed my forehead and I nodded softly. We both went upstairs, splitting off to different rooms. I had showered at the hospital so I didn't need to again.

I stepped in to the bedroom and once I did, I froze. The cot was still up. Baby clothes were inside of the cot, a blue coat that would've looked adorable on Chester. I moved towards the crib and pushed the dangling stars that would sing twinkle twinkle little star when it moved and I looked down at the bed. It had yellow sheets, sheep covering it and I just stared for a moment before reaching my hand in and pulling out a green baby onesie.