f o r t y o n e

e d w a r d

"Edward? Edward Lovato?" A teenage girl says, knocking on the door of my hospital room.

I look up at her from my phone, which I was starring at a picture of me and Demi, where I was laughing and she was kissing my cheek. I missed her kisses.

"Yeah, who's asking?" I ask, locking my phone and sitting up, but then motion to Nick and a man in a suit outside of my room, seeming in deep conversation with Dallas right beside them. "And I think it's gonna be Jonas soon, who knows?" I shrug.

She cracks a smile, she was wearing a hospital gown too, and had glasses on as she walks forward. "I'm asking, the name's Jamie. And for a girl who just got her sight back, I say I track you down pretty well." She says, walking inside my room, barefooted.

I raise a brow. She sounded familiar, I think Demi mention her to me a few times. "You got your sight back? Weren't you blind?" I ask, and she sits down on the empty chair beside me.

Jamie gives me a small smile. "Yeah, just got out of surgery a few hours ago. I think you know who the donor was," She says quietly, and looks down at the things she had in her hands.

I stared at her. Demi actually donated her eyes or whatever, to her?

Jamie lets out a soft laugh. "You know, when I told her she owes me, I didn't think she would do that." Then she goes quiet, before flickering her light brown eyes at me, and says quietly, "She was an amazing woman, I'm sorry."

It's only been five hours since I receive the news that Demi died, and I believed it, but I couldn't stop crying after it, just recently I stop because I knew crying wouldn't bring her back.

I clear my throat, nodding. "She was." I whispered.

A silence comes over us, and we try to block out the heated conversation coming from Nick, Dallas and the man, who I think was a lawyer, I don't really know.

Jamie breaks it, chuckling quietly as she holds up a CD case and envelops. "She came to me, asking for a favor. She wanted me to give you these, after the surgery. I didn't went through it, of course." Jamie says, and hands me them.

I look down at the CD, and in its clear case, the words 'my only one' were written in black Sharpie. I suck in a sharp breath.

Pushing down the lump in my throat, I set the CD beside me and look at the envelops.

"Uh, she told me to tell you to only, keyword only, open these letters," She points at the one on top of the stack, the word 'sad' scribbled on it. "when you are feeling sad, or angry, or bored, or really damn happy, or if you miss her, or anything." She says and I flick through the envelops, which all had some kind of emotion scribbled down.

Then, I reach other kind of envelops. These had 'driver's license', 'high school graduation', 'girlfriends', 'college', 'marriage', 'first child', and so on and so forth.

"Those you have to open when you reach those parts of your life, you can't open before. If you did, she told me to smack you against the head." Jamie chuckles lightly and I let a small smile play on my lips.

"Okay," I nodded, and look over at her. Jamie points at the CD.

"That explains what she did and why she did it, it's a video. You can watch it whenever you're ready, it's for you only." Jamie tells me and I pick up the CD case, looking at the CD.

"Uh, I think my job here is done." Jamie says, and stands up. I watch her get up and she shuffles on her feet, then looks at me.

She looks at me, like as if she wants to ask, but seems like she doesn't wanna overstep. I nod at her, encourage her to say whatever she wanted to say.