Chapter 56: The Tamer

"That was great, Aerodactyl!" Ash praised.

Aerodactyl had just learned Giga Impact. It and Ash had been training all morning so he could get it prepared for the Pokemon League. There were only a couple of weeks left until it started. The two had really come to an understanding with one another during their time together. Aerodactyl was unlike any Pokemon Ash had ever trained before. Being a prehistoric Pokemon, no Aerodactyl ever had the instincts to listen to a Pokemon trainer. They were one of the most feared Pokemon at the time they thrived, and for a good reason. As a result, an Aerodactyl's natural instincts were to just survive. They were very wild.

Amazingly, Ash had proven that an Aerodactyl could be used, after all. He didn't know if it was just Aerodactyl's jolly nature that made it possible, but it was working. All Ash needed to do was let Aerodactyl know he cared about it.

The prehistoric Pokemon flew back down to Ash before landing on top of him. It then pinned him to the ground and proceeded to lick him with its long tongue. It was slightly gross and surprising, but that was just Aerodactyl's way of showing affection. Ash struggled continuously while Pikachu couldn't stop laughing at Ash's predicament.

By the time Aerodactyl was finished, Ash was dripping in saliva. He rose to his feet before trying to brush off as much saliva as possible. He then made sure to fling some on Pikachu because it was still laughing at him. Ash and Aerodactyl then had a good laugh themselves now that Pikachu was drenched.

"Pika Pikachu!" Pikachu said angrily.

"Serves you right, buddy! You look even more ridiculous than I did!" Ash laughed.

Pikachu put on a pouting face and ran off to the nearby lake in Professor Oak's yard to wash off while Ash turned back to Aerodactyl. He then reached over and rubbed its scaly backside which delighted the prehistoric Pokemon. It felt so relaxing after some heavy duty training.

"I can't believe you actually learned Giga Impact so fast. That was really something!" Ash told it.

"Aeerooo," it replied.

"Yeah. All you had to do was increase the power and speed of your Take Down attack. I bet we'll be an unstoppable team at the Pokemon League!" Ash declared.

"Aeeerr?" it questioned while looking at Ash curiously.

Getting the gist of what it was asking, Ash nodded his head. "Of course I'm going to use you in the Pokemon League. Why wouldn't I? You're part of the team, too!"

Aerodactyl looked down and sighed in response.

"You're still hung up about going wild on Cinnabar Island, aren't you?" Ash asked.

Aerodactyl merely nodded its head.

"I've already forgiven you for that and so has everyone else. It's in the past. Now we can work together to be a great team. That's what I told you before. Remember?" Ash asked it.

"Aerroooo," it replied.

"What happens if you go wild again?" Ash inquired as he looked in thought.

He saw Aerodactyl was looking at him with a very serious expression. He didn't know if Aerodactyl voluntarily chose to go wild or if it couldn't control itself. From what Ash had seen, though, Aerodactyl had been nothing but a friendly Pokemon since Ash had talked with it. Still, Aerodactyl seemed to be scared of itself so Ash had to calm its fears.