Chapter 8: Challenge of the Samurai

The group was in really high spirits at the moment. A lot of good things had happened so far on their way through Viridian Forest. Ash had captured not one, but two Pokemon, a Pidgeotto and Caterpie. They were even able to defend their Pokemon from Team Rocket, and in doing so Ash and Serena won their first Pokemon battle fair and square. Caterpie had even evolved into Metapod in the process. All that was left now for their trek through Viridian Forest to be successful was have Serena catch her first Pokemon as well. She might get that opportunity right now.

"Hey! Look guys! It's a Weedle!" Ash said excitedly, pointing at one that was crawling along in their path.

Weedle was a light brown caterpillar-like Pokemon with pink suction cup feet. It looked harmless enough if you didn't count the stinger on its forehead.

"Great. More bugs," Misty mumbled, but not loud enough for the others to hear.

"Serena, you should try to capture this Weedle since you haven't gotten a Pokemon yet," Ash told her.

"Right! Thanks, Ash!" Serena said. This was going to be her first attempt to catch another Pokemon. She could do this. She was just about to throw the pokeball to release Charla, but Weedle had suddenly disappeared.

"Uh, where did it go?" Serena asked.

"Well, it was just another bug so….."Misty began, but then she felt something against her leg. She looked down, and there was Weedle rubbing against her leg. Why were bug Pokemon so attracted to her?!

Misty let out a mighty scream and fled away from the group. She had really had it with this forest.

"She'll be back in a little bit," Ash told Serena, who giggled in response.

"Bugs! Bugs! Bugs! I hate bugs!" Misty continued to say to herself.

Here she was, trying to be nice to Caterpie, and even not be repulsed at the sight of a bug. So what does one do? It touches her at the first chance it gets. Ugh! Bug Pokemon really bugged her!

"I can't wait until we're out of this horrible forest!" Misty continued to complain. "I don't see how this could get any worse!"

Just then, she heard what sounded like a battle cry as a boy jumped out of the bushes beside her. He was oddly dressed to say the least. He wore a helmet on his head and was dressed in a red shirt and black shorts. He wore sandles on his feet and had a bug catching net strapped to his back. It wasn't any of those things that had Misty's attention, however. It was the sword that he was pointing right at her face. Maybe she spoke too soon about how it couldn't get any worse.

Misty stared fearfully at the sword until finally the strange boy spoke up.

"Greetings, maiden. I am Samurai. Am I addressing a trainer from the town of Pallet?" he asked.

"No! No! That's not me! I'm not from Pallet Town!" Misty said frantically while shaking her head back and forth.

To her great relief, he finally removed the sword from in front of her face and sheathed it by his side. "Alas," Samurai said. "I apologize. My search shall continue."

Samurai then began to walk off but stopped. "I would advise you to quit screaming while you are in this forest. Before you ask, yes, I heard you earlier. If you continue, you will only attract a horde of Beedrill," he said.