Chapter 3: The Meeting of Lifelong Partners

Everyone stared at the Pokemon that had come out of the pokeball. They certainly were not expecting a Pikachu to come out. In turn, Pikachu stared uncertainly at everyone around it. It didn't quite know what to make of the situation. What it did know was one raven-haired boy was standing a little too close for its liking, though.

Ash was the first one to give any real reaction, and his face broke out into a wide grin. He then leaned forward to get a little closer. "Hello, Pikachu. My name is Ash Ketchum. I heard that you had bad experiences with people and distrust them, but I promise you I'm not like that. I'm going to treat you the way you deserve to be treated. Will you give me a chance?"

Pikachu continued to stare at Ash. It didn't believe this kid for one second. It's heard that one before. It heard how people had said they would be nice to it, only to abuse it the first chance they got. Pikachu then promptly turned its back on Ash with a low-toned "Chu" to emphasize that it didn't want anything to do with they.

Gary Oak then gave a smirk as he crossed his arms. "What's the matter Ashy-boy? Can't you even make your first Pokemon trust you? I guess I can say that's to be expected. I don't know what Gramps was thinking trying to give you a Pikachu like that."

Leaf and Serena then glared at Gary. "Ugh! Gary, you can be such a jerk sometimes. Let's see you try to become friends with it," Leaf defended.

Gary shrugged. "I'm only saying that Pikachu isn't for some run-off-the-mill rookie like Ash. You know he will be miserable with that thing."

Ash decided he would try again. "Don't listen to Gary, Pikachu. I personally think you are so great that you are the best of all. I couldn't be happier to receive you as my first Pokemon."

Ash then reached out to try to give Pikachu a reassuring touch on its back. However, it proved to be a huge mistake.

"Wait, Ash! Be careful, or….," Professor Oak tried to warn, but it was too late.

As soon as Pikachu felt Ash's hand against it, it let out a loud cry and gave off a powerful Thundershock. The bolt engulfed Ash in electricity and caused the other people and Pokemon to hit the floor in an attempt to block the attack.

"Wow. That was a powerful Thundershock," Ash mumbled, a little dazed once Pikachu finished.

"Ash! Are you okay?!" Serena asked worriedly as she and everyone else stood up again.

"Yeah. I think so," Ash muttered.

"Geez, Ash! Watch what you're doing! That Pikachu is a danger to everyone! You need to get that thing back into its pokeball before something worse happens!" Gary exclaimed with an angry look on his face.

"I'm afraid I have to agree with Gary on this one, Ash. Let me put Pikachu back into its pokeball, and I can try to find another Pokemon for you," Professor Oak said as he picked up Pikachu's pokeball.

Pikachu looked at the ball fearfully. It hated being inside pokeballs. It just received freedom, and it was already going back in?!

"No. Wait, Professor. It's fine," Ash stepped in before he then turned to Pikachu. "Sorry about that Pikachu. I shouldn't have reached out and startled you like that. That was my fault. I'll try to be more careful from now on. Do you forgive me?"

That got Pikachu's attention. It was expecting Ash to hit it or at least be very angry and yell at it for shocking him, but he was doing just the opposite. He wasn't bothered by it at all and was even apologizing to it and wanted its forgiveness. Maybe this human wasn't as bad as it originally thought. Pikachu still didn't trust Ash, but it decided to give him a break. It turned around to face Ash and nodded its head, signaling it at least forgave Ash.