Chapter 20: Bye Bye Butterfree

Currently, Ash was in a heated battle with another trainer they had just met on the road. Ash figured this would be a good time to use his Butterfree since he didn't use it in the Vermilion City gym or his battle against Paul. Despite this, the butterfly Pokemon still proved to be a very capable battler as shown in the Pewter and Cerulean City gym battles. Needless to say, after all they had been through together, Ash and his Butterfree have grown quite close.

"Go, Butterfree! Use Psychic!" Ash yelled to his Butterfree.

Butterfree's eyes glowed blue for a moment before unleashing a psychic blast of energy at its opponent who was a Raticate. The Raticate gave a yelp of pain as it was knocked off its feet and onto the ground.

The opposing trainer, who was an older man dressed in a formal outfit, wasn't going to give up so easily. "Raticate, use Hyper Fang!" he said.

Raticate got off the ground and leaped into the air at Butterfree with its teeth bared.

"Dodge it quick, Butterfree!" Ash told his Pokemon.

Butterfree than flew above the Raticate, and the rat Pokemon soared underneath it. Once Raticate landed on the ground, it leaped into the air again for another Hyper Fang, but Butterfree dodged that one, too. This went on for a few more times before Ash decided to act.

"Use Stun Spore, Butterfree!" Ash called.

Butterfree nodded as it prepared its wings for the attack. This time, once Raticate landed on the ground again, Butterfree began to sprinkle a brown powder from its wings onto the opposing Pokemon. The Raticate than began to tremble violently as the powder fell onto it. It was paralyzed.

"Try to shake free of it, Raticate!" the gentleman yelled, but it was no use.

"Excellent, Butterfree! Finish it with a Tackle attack!" Ash said.

Butterfree then flew forward and slammed into Raticate. The rat Pokemon was then knocked onto its back and down for the count.

"Raticate is unable to battle! Butterfree is the winner!" Brock, who was judging, announced while pointing to Ash.

"You were super, Butterfree!" Ash congratulated his Pokemon as he and Pikachu rushed forward to it.

"Freeeeeeeee!" Butterfree cried in delight

"Pika Pikachu!" the yellow rodent told its friend while leaping up to give it a high-five.

"Way to go, Ash!" Serena said happily as she and Misty joined them.

"Thanks guys, but you know most credit goes to Butterfree!" Ash replied.

Butterfree turned red at the praise it was receiving, but it was still pleased.

The gentleman returned Raticate to it pokeball and walked towards Ash. "Young man, your Butterfree is a very swell battler. I'm impressed."

"Thank you, sir," Ash replied politely. "This Butterfree was the first Pokemon I ever caught. I've raised it ever since it was a Caterpie so we have been through a lot together."

"It certainly shows," the gentleman nodded. "Have you ever thought about what Butterfree's future will be like?"

"What do you mean?" Ash asked.