Chapter 54: The Path to the Pokemon League

Grace sighed contently at the newest trophy placed neatly on the mantle. It had been almost two weeks since Serena had become Grand Duchess of the Battle Chateau. For a while, it was all Grace could talk about. The mother of one didn't waste any time placing the trophy and case of symbols next to all her Rhyhorn Racing awards. With Grace's old life as a Rhyhorn Racer behind her, the Gabena family could now add to the collection with a new set from Serena. Grace was so proud of her daughter.

She then looked down at the magazine article in her hands. It was the same one that Calem had given Serena that read about Pokemon Performing. Grace must have looked at the article more than Serena had and was definitely enthusiastic about the idea. Serena, on the other hand, wasn't so sure and said she wanted to explore her options. Grace didn't think there was anything wrong with that, of course. Looking once more back at the article, she read it to herself.

Aim to be Queen! Do your Pokemon have special talents you believe are worth sharing? Can you maximize their potential? Become known across the region with your brilliant performances! Become a Pokemon Performer and dazzle the audience!

Grace did truly believe that Serena would be good for something like this. For starters, she loved fashion which was part of the reason she tried out the Battle Chateau to begin with. Grace didn't want to push her daughter, though. She knew that if Serena really found something she wanted to do, she would stick with it and see it through to the end. It's just finding it was the problem. As much as Grace wanted to say Serena got that trait from her, she got it from her father.

"Mom?" a voice called behind her.

Grace spun around and saw her daughter standing behind her. Serena had her purse she got from Misty strewn over one shoulder and her backpack on the other. She was holding Togepi with both her arms. The baby Pokemon had by now gotten used to being away from both its parents at night. The first night Ash had spent the night back at his own house, the spikeball Pokemon had cried for hours on end. It was then the two decided to trade nights with Togepi at each of their house until it finally adjusted. Last night had been Serena's turn.

Grace knew this would be the day Serena would accompany Ash to the Pokemon League. It had been wonderful having her home, but now that she was on her journey, she would come and go.

"Hi, sweetie. I was just musing to myself," Grace smiled.

"What about?" Serena asked as she went over to stand beside her mother.

"I was thinking about how you've done so well at the Battle Chateau and about anything you might be planning for the future," Grace admitted.

"I know what you're thinking, Mom. It's not that I think Pokemon Performing is a bad thing at all, but it has just come on me so suddenly. I haven't really had a chance to learn much about it," Serena sighed as she looked away from her mother and focused on Togepi instead.

"I know. There is no rush. The last thing I would want would be for you to do something you weren't ready for. When the right thing comes along, I know you'll go for it," Grace said.

"I know I'll be able to find something else! It will probably be even when I least expect it! I mean, I did find out about the Battle Chateau from and advertisement at the Viridian Pokemon Center," Serena said.

"Of course. You know I'll be proud of you no matter what you do," Grace told Serena.

Serena smiled at her mother. She remembered when you was younger, her mother had pushed her so hard to become a Rhyhorn Racer. Despite Serena making it very clear she didn't like it, her mother merely told her that she just wasn't used to it yet. As Serena got older, it was clear that she was serious about not being one. Though initially saddened by that fact, Grace knew she had to let Serena do her own thing. Whatever that may be.