Chapter 26: The Silph Company Part One

The group had just arrived in Saffron City, the largest city in the Kanto region. It had only taken them a few days to get here from Celadon. That isn't to say the route between the two places had been uneventful. Ash had acquired a new Pokemon and friend in Primeape, who was just as strong as it was mischievous. Ash and Serena had also made sure to train their Pokemon this time. Serena in particular had wanted to train her new Eevee. The only problem was Eevee seemed more interested in playing and tackling Serena than battling. It seemed Serena now had a second Pokemon that was a handful after Jigglypuff.

"Hey, Brock, Misty. Would any of you guys happen to know the kind of things Saffron City has to offer? I mean, it is a really large city," Ash asked as the group entered into the busy streets.

"Well, aside from a Pokemon Gym and a Battle Chateau, this place also has a fighting dojo and many companies known across the world. The most famous is the Silph Company," Brock answered.

"Don't forgot all of the various department stores and malls," Misty added.

"The Silph Company and fighting dojo," Ash mused to himself. "What are they?"

"This city used to have two gyms, the psychic-type gym led by Sabrina, and the fighting-type gym led by Kiyo. The fighting-type gym lost its gym status when they were completely destroyed by the trainers at Sabrina's gym. Now it is just a fighting dojo where trainers can help their Pokemon get stronger through tournaments. The winner gets to choose between two rare fighting-type Pokemon, a Hitmonlee or Hitmonchan," Brock explained.

"What about the Silph Company?" Ash asked again.

"You've never heard of the Silph Company, Ash?" Misty asked in surprise.

"No," Ash replied, clearly not knowing how famous it was.

"The Silph Company is the very reason people are able to become Pokemon trainers. You have them to thank for making pokeballs, Pokemon medicine, and all other kinds of Pokemon merchandise," Misty said.

"I see. It might be a good idea to check that place out while we are here," Ash decided.

"Can we stop by the Pokemon Center first?" Serena asked, speaking for the first time since the group arrived in Saffron.

"Yeah, good idea. I just hope we can find it in this maze of roads and buildings," Ash replied.

"That's what my map is for!" Brock grinned as he pulled it out of his backpack.

As soon as the group entered the Pokemon Center, they saw a very familiar face sitting on the sofa with a crowd of cheerleaders around him.

"Gary?! You're still in Saffron City?!" Ash exclaimed.

"Yo, everyone. It looks like you all made it to Saffron City, after all," Gary smirked in an arrogant tone.

"Of course we did! I got the Rainbow Badge while I was in Celadon City, too!" Ash declared as he showed Gary his Rainbow Badge.

"Big deal. I got that badge a while back. Only great trainers can win the Marsh Badge," Gary scoffed.

"What do you mean?" Ash asked.

"Sabrina is the gym leader here and trains psychic-type Pokemon. She was by far the most difficult gym leader I've faced. Defeat her, and then I might call you a worthy Pokemon trainer," Gary answered in a cocky tone.